Thread: Bell target league.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Chris
    Could you tell us the sort of scores that where achieved and what rifles they used.
    "Just to benchmark us Southern Softies."

(jjjjj please drop me a pm.)

A very good score is reckoned to be 220 or above (10 shooters...max 25 possible, so average of 22). We were beaten by 1 shot earlier this season.........The opposing team's captain shot last......and had to get 23 to draw...24 to win.....pressure or what!......even our guys gave him applause and a cheer, as it was really impressive shooting under a lot of duress..

The top team in the league operates a strict system where you have to prove you can shoot a 23 reasonably consistently......all teams have "reserves"...maybe 5 or 6 people...These shoot after the match, and their scores are logged...and if you don't do well one week, the reserve(s) who have beaten your score take your place in the team...so this is also something to think about if you snatch one and your score is not looking to good....the good guy's, when they do this, seem invariably to be able to step up, and pull a 5 with the next shot to "catch up".

To give an idea.......here is our currant league table

The most consistent guys can do a 23 most weeks, with the odd 24 / 25....I have shot between 18 and 23......My problem being that as it is a 9pm match start time, I may have been working since 6am.......On the night of my lowest score, I had been sanding Fibrelam board, and spraying bleeding 2 pack paint for 10 hours, so my eyes were as tired as hell. The baseline really should be a 20...if you can't get a pellet into a one inch circle at 6 yards with a TX or HW, then it is purely down to nerves, or pressure......at home I do 23's - 25's all the time........but try that in front of 25+ people chatting away, after waiting maybe 40 mins. or more depending where you are in the team shooting order....It is very interesting to watch everyone's style.....everything from 100% perfect target match stances, to some of the older guys who are shotgunners using a "sporting" arm extended stance, with equally good scores.....It really is a case of what works for you personally.
    Last edited by edbear2; 06-11-2010 at 09:23 AM.