Thread: Anschutz Trigger problem on Match 54

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex

Anschutz Trigger problem on Match 54

Got the trigger 5018 unit ages ago and put it on the rifle never adjusted anything and have just shot it, it was light but as I use it for benchrest that was fine.

Just had a stock made for the rifle for benchrest and had it bedded. Used the smiths bolt and it seemed fine. Been down the range and the sears now not engaging everytime unless I push the trigger forward. Just printed off all the instructions I can find on the web(seem pretty comprehensive) but was wondering if there are any experts on here with a quick fix.

Looking at what I have found I am thinking the cam needs adjusting for a heavier weight?

To me it seems like the trigger isn't returning far enough forward to allow the sears to engage when the bolt is cycled.

Oh and the stock is fantastic.

Help.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Andy,

These triggers are fairly simple to adjust. You will only need to adjust the cam if you want to increase the trigger weight significantly (I don't have the manual to hand but the details of weight ranges are in it). To that end, the following notes are from memory and I would advise checking that I have identified the adjustment screws correctly!

First thing to do is to adjust the engagement of the trigger with the bolt. The trigger unit will be attached to the action with two screws. If you loosen these the complete mechanism will move longtitudinally. Adjust the position of the trigger so that the cocking indicator on the back of the bolt remains nearly in the same position as the bolt is closed and locked. Difficult to explain, but you'll soon figure it out once you get started. Incorrect adjustment here will result in weak firing pin strikes and misfires.

Next adjust out the pretravel and remove the overtravel stop using the front and rearmost screws respectively. The other two screws in front of the trigger are used for adjusting the weight of the first and second stages - you will be able to see the spring tensions changing as you make adjustments.

The most important adjustment is to take up the slack in the sear, without reducing the overlap so much that the rifle becomes unsafe. This is covered in detail in the manual. From memory this is the screw immediately behind the trigger blade. Go slow with it as a 1/4 turn makes all the difference!

Once you are happy with the weights and the sear is engaging positively you can adjust the length of the first stage pull and the over travel.

Its also possible to adjust from single stage to two stage and vice versa - this is covered in the manual.

Good luck!

Dom.

Thanks for all that Dom, the smith said the unit was loose so he tightened it up and maybe it is too far in one direction if it will move backwards and forwards although to be honest I thought it just seated in two holes that wouldn't allow movement.

Should the trigger return to its most forward position unaided or do they stay back short of this and just get caught by the sear engagement as the bolt cycles anyway? There is a definate stop reluctance on mine at the moment as if there is no tension to return it to its most forward position.

I will have a go later with what you have suggested.

Thanks again

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Trigger should definitely move freely!

Dom.

Andy

If you dont already do this search the Anschutz section on:-

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=16

it might help.

Regards
    John

Thanks for the advice chaps think I have solved the problem just junked a piece that appears to have done nothing or perhaps modified by someone in the past to do nothing.

Andy

Glad to hear you're sorted.

Dom.