Thread: Number of .22lr rounds on ticket?

Number of .22lr rounds on ticket?

I currently have 2000 buy, 3000 hold but only really buy .22lr by the thousand. I'm not shooting well enough to batch test, the best ammo I use is Eley Match

I was wondering how many rounds the more serious target shooters have on their ticket, especially those who go to Eley and batch test then buy large quantities?

Watching the firearms enquiry and lots of mention of limiting ammunition holding quantities made me think about it and how they may not be aware of serious target shooters requirements.
    Not sent from an iPhone.

Lincolnshire ,I have just at my last renewal upped my limit to buy 1000 and store 1300 for the reason that I was teaching some young people and had to have more on stock because of holding it for them
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Our club ticket has 10 & 12k. Seems reasonable and sometimes lasts a while.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

My last club had buy 10k, hold 14-15k.

Dunno what my current club has. Probably more as they're a larger club.

Most people who batch test will have buy 5k, hold 7k, or double that, so they can buy one or two slabs* (5k or 10k) when they go to Eley and batch test.
    I've got a funny number - buy 1250, hold 1500 or something. Will probably get it upped next when I renew next year as you can go through 1k at Smallbore Week alone.

*By "slab" I refer to my naming conventions whereby:

Box = 50 rounds
    Brick = 500 rounds (10 boxes in cellophane if you buy Eley)
    Slab = 5000 rounds (10 Bricks in a big cardboard box. Weighs a ton )
    Last edited by Hemmers; 05-11-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

You're doing well if you can afford 5000 Tenex these days :-)
    15x 303s, 1x .223, 1x 7.62, 1x .308, 8x .22s, 1x7.5, 1x30-06, 2x.357, 1x45-110, 1x45acp, 2x32-20, 1x.50, 2x12bore, 1x 357lbr, 1x .22 lbp and some others... 42 currently :-)

I have buy 5000 hold 6000 for the reasons of buying batch tested ammo, however I haven't put 5000 on for a couple of years as it's to expensive.

I bought 3000 Lapua Centre X at Bisley this year for £99 per1000 which is about half the cost of Tenex and is giving me excellent groups. I would have bought 5000 but I wouldn't have had any beer money

Alan

friend of mine, who shoots at a national standard, has "buy 10,000".

it's also possible to get your rfd to hold ammo for you, but you need to be able to trust them that they won'd sell off your particular batch, and swap it for another.

maybe the overriding problem is the cost of the safe to hold 10 or 20 thousand rounds.

[QUOTE=steveP07;4631834]friend of mine, who shoots at a national standard, has "buy 10,000".

it's also possible to get your rfd to hold ammo for you, but you need to be able to trust them that they won'd sell off your particular batch, and swap it for another.

maybe the overriding problem is the cost of the safe to hold 10 or 20 thousand rounds.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say so, I use one of these as an ammo safe, and another as a gun safe. VanVault outback (£210)
    http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/S1...x-596-x-490mm/
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

If you can its best to buy up to your limit every time , you have to buy it at some point so once you have stocked up start saving for the next lot .
    The reason for saying this is when you come to your next renewel you will get knocked back on quantity you can buy , logical reason being if in the last 5 years you had lets say to buy 5k and you only ever went and bought 2k , therefore in the eyes of your FEO theres no point in him granting you 5k if your not using it . He will get brownie points as well [ just joking ] .
    Personaly I shoot different disciplines with different rifles so buying up to my max in various types of .22 isnt a problem , only on the wallet .

Dave