Thread: Air rifle Range

Air rifle Range

i am relativly new to shooting and was woundering if anyone could advise on the effective range of a standard .22 air rifle. ta

Whatever range you can put your pellet within a 15mm-18mm circle.....consistantly!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

I generally assume I can shoot 35 - 40 yards accurately and consistantly with a non-FAC spring powered air rifle. I can hit reasonably accurately out to 50 yards, but would keep this kind of shooting for tin cans and paper targets as "reasonably" isn't good enough to ensure clean kills as far as I'm concerned. That's just me though.
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

M100Elan is offline Mind of an athlete...body of a genius
    From a purely target shooting perspective....

.22 has a more loopy trajectory than .177 so longer shots are more challenging as you need to be sure of your range and the required hold over. I will confidently go for a 40mm FT target at 55 yards and hit it but if I misrange by only a couple of yards either side its a miss. I've entered and done well in a long range challenge which was a 40mm target at 75yards (8 mildots hold over req'd based on a 20 yard zero) and I recon 100 yards is probably workable in still conditions. Modern airguns are generally inherently very accurate its down to hard work at the practise range to take full advantage of this accuracy.
    Daystate MK4iS .177 - HFT rig
    Skan Bullpup .177 - Plinker
    Airarms ProTarget .177 - FT rig.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart1687 View Post
    i am relativly new to shooting and was woundering if anyone could advise on the effective range of a standard .22 air rifle. ta
    Hi Stuart, I'd have to ask "Effective for what?". Do you intend to shoot targets, or use it for pest control?.

If it's pest control then the BASC Air Rifle Code of Practice sums it up pretty well, here's an extract but I recommend you read it in full:-

"Always shoot well within your capabilities. Practice on targets, never on live quarry, to establish the maximum range at which you and your rifle can consistently hit the point of aim that will ensure a clean kill; this is usually the head, and normally has a maximum diameter of about three centimetres (an inch and a quarter). Practise regularly to improve your shooting and stalking skills".

If it's target shooting (tin cans, paper) then you don't have the worry about humane kills, your only concern will be having a safe backstop.

Many modern .22 rifles will put a pellet out in excess of 400yds. Don't expect to be able to hit anything at that distance, but you must consider it from a safety perspective. Top shots are putting down tin cans at 200yds. Downing them at 100yds is becoming commonplace!.
    Last edited by Switchblade; 12-11-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart1687 View Post
    theres no such thing as a standard .22 it all depends on the airgun that you are using ie the make and if its a springer gas ram or pcp its all down to getting to know what your rifle is capable of

accurate

With my AA s410 xtrafac .22 I shoot in a 20 mm circle at 60 metres.

regards,

Rene

After a bit of guess work to start with, I managed to get 3 shots at a 1inch group at 110yrds.

Scope is zeroed at 30yrds on 10X but had to aim 4 mill dots high at 5X - it wasn't easy but really good fun, i was resting on the seat of a quad - but now looking to invest in a bipod to see if i can get 1/2 inch

Logun m2 prof .177 - AA fields .452
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    Logun mk 2 Professional, MTC Taipan 6x24x56

flat to around 30-35 yards but plenty of whack even at 60 yards