Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on gas ram leaks please.

Advice on gas ram leaks please.

My Sirocco 2000 .22 is down to about 8 ft lbs. Its about four years old, and has never been serviced, but, quite honestly I've hardly ever used it. Couple or three tins of pellets at most.

My Fenman .177 is down to 9 ft lbs. It's about 18 months old and has also seen very little use.

They are quality items and a joy to shoot when up to speed, but , if this is going to be a recurring problem, I'll get rid and buy a HW98.

I'd appreciate some advice on this. Should I buy a pump and bring them up to power, or would that be a waste of cash? In other words, do they need pumping or fixing? A pump and hose costs about 68 quid, but paying for Theoben to sort them, and the associated postage costs would probably work out at more than that.

However, if that's what they need, I'll have to do it. Or maybe it would be better to send them to Ben Taylor, since he's the expert.

I've read posts on here from blokes who've run Theoben break barrels for years with no power loss.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    None of mine (approx a dozen anything from 12 months to 12 years old) have leaked...

As to pumping them up, just find someone local with the necesary adapter and ask for a loan -I've done this for a couple of people before

Whereabouts are you when in the UK ?

Rgds,

JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks, JP.

I'm in the Bolton area, and I'm sure there'll be someone around with a pump.

But what's to say they'll hold their pressure after they've been pumped?

For what it's worth, I remember calling Theoben (it wasn't Ben) some years ago about s/h gas rammed Superstar that was down on power- they used to do these around 1990-92 or so.

Once the ram was replaced I was told to use it as often as possible to keep it operating at its optimum. I think these rams were sealed with no valve.

Just wondering if the lack of use has contributed to the power loss, after all?

HTH, Regards, Ed

Interesting point, Ed.

Perhaps the gas ram system isn't suitable for someone like me, who doesn't get home from the Middle East too often.

Arfur

To have one gun go down in power is rare. Two is well....very rare

Think I'd get a second opinion from different chrono (you never know).

Regards...Ian

lurcher Guest
    Seem to remember reading that they should be
    fired a couple of times once a month, because
    otherwise the seals can stick in the ram, or something like
    that.

the first thing to check on a leaky theoben is that the schrader valve is
    tight this has been a problem on several guns in my club, the easy way to check for this is to slowly unscrew the cover screw if you here a hiss
    as you do this the valve is letting past and probaly needs a tweak up
    with a schrader valve key.

lance

I'm probably talking rubbish, but the oil-seals on the front forks of my motorbike dry out, and leak, if I don't ride it. Do gas-rams have O-rings which may do the same?
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I can't answer your question but i have a Taunus which is over 10 years old and only gets used occasionally these days, but the power is still just below the legal limit. Also, it has never been back to Theoben for a service.

Geoff.

I think i know the answer to this one Arthur! I had the same problem not long after buying a new Fenman .22. It to went down to 8, I took it over to Theobens and the guy took it into the workshop came back a few minutes later, there you go he said, I said what was the problem? Just needed pumping up a bit says he, I wasn't happy and pressed him. He didn't really want to tell me but he admited that it happens once in a while due to oil contamination on assembly which causes dieseling. And as only around 5 shots are fired to set the power it will give a false reading, but after around 500 shots or so it clears itself! that was nearly 3yrs back and its still running just under 12. The thing about loosing power if not used only applies to the early models if its an HE its ok!

Thanks, Alan. You've given me some hope. I'll try the pump.

If you have a dive bottle then you will only need adaptor, need to be very careful though as only relatively low pressure needed

VERY important to keep adaptor and everything near the charging port scrupulously clean, one tiny bit of dirt can cause leaks!

These guns are in fact easy to service, any "real" gunshop should be able to work on them

Cant you get your mum to shoot em now and again whilst you are over there

Baz

You must be joking, Baz. If the old girl gets hold of them, I'll never get em back.

She's well 'ard, is my Mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease
    She's well 'ard, is my Mum.
    Sounds quite a woman

baz