Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2 and pressure

Co2 and pressure

This has probably been asked a thousand times by every pistol newbie but is it safe for a pistol to leave it with Co2 in it.

Obviously if I was going to store my gun for a long period I would de-pressurize it but from day to day I often leave a half used or still quite full canister in the pistol and don't fire it again for a day or two, is this bad for my gun?

Logically I would think it could be bad for it but I sometimes don't want to shoot off more than a few clips [I shoot in doors and have to watch sound sometimes too] and de-pressurizing then would be horribly wasteful on gas

Sorry for the continuing ignorance guys!

Pressure

Hi Zippo
    Leaving a cylinder in the gun is asking for the seals to fail. They will EVENTUALLY fail but the pressure needed to hold the cylinder against the seal will compress a groove into the seal and you then start to lose pressure as soon as the new cylinder is put in.
    If you take the gun out of the house then having a cylinder in it whilst you are transporting it is illegal and constitutes a firearms offence. The magazine, or spare ones must not be loaded whether they are in the gun or not.

Ignorant? No. We all started this way, some of us long before others and with a totally different set of rules.
    You, at least, have had the sense to ask for information.

Enjoy you guns and "waste" any remaining CO2 by shooting more pellets.

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Didnt know it was illigal to transport with a co2 in
    Whats the logic behind that one then, as its ok to transport a full pcp rifle?
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    If you take the gun out of the house then having a cylinder in it whilst you are transporting it is illegal and constitutes a firearms offence.
    Are you sure about this? - it seems rather unlikely - after all whats the difference between this and carrying a precharged air pistol/rifle or indeed a bulk filled CO2 one...

Logic

Hi Guys
    Don't blame me I don't write them. I think that it's to do with the time it takes to load and use the guns. Pre chargers tend towards, or did when the restriction was thought up, single or bolt type action. Besides which refill bottles or pumps take extra effort to carry around and use. It's mainly the mags that upset firearms people as they can be snapped in and out pretty quickly.
    OH, and once again do not attempt to apply logic to firearms regs. Stuff cobbled together to suit the political purpose of the day is often idiotic.

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    Didnt know it was illigal to transport with a co2 in
    Whats the logic behind that one then, as its ok to transport a full pcp rifle?
    I think there's a lot of confusion as to what bits of firearm legislation apply to what pistols.
    I suspect the rule about transporting with gas in may have applied whilst CO2 guns were "On Ticket", I'm not sure what happened once CO2 guns were all taken off ticket but if it were a legal requirement then surely user manuals would carry the warning or a printed sheet would be included in the box to avoid customers unwittingly breaking the law?
    Now that CO2 guns are classed as Air Guns the sections of legislation applying to them will be different to when they were "Firearms Requiring a License",
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Zippo
    Leaving a cylinder in the gun is asking for the seals to fail. They will EVENTUALLY fail but the pressure needed to hold the cylinder against the seal will compress a groove into the seal and you then start to lose pressure as soon as the new cylinder is put in.
    If you take the gun out of the house then having a cylinder in it whilst you are transporting it is illegal and constitutes a firearms offence. The magazine, or spare ones must not be loaded whether they are in the gun or not.

Enjoy you guns and "waste" any remaining CO2 by shooting more pellets.

Target Bunny
    With respect, that's bollocks.

All that leaving a C02 cart in the gun will do is possibly compress the seal. If this happens you'll know, because the fresh cart you put in will not seal and will vent CO2 everywhere. Five minutes with a warm hair drier blowing up the CO2 chamber will restore the seal to it's normal shape. I store all my CO2 guns with CO2 intact and I've never lost a seal yet. A drop of Pellgun oil on the top of the bulb will also help keep your seals nice and supple and keep them from drying out.

As for it being a "Firearms Offence" to carry a gassed-up pistol, where did you hear that one? It's just not true.
    Last edited by MikeB; 09-11-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I don't claim to know a lot about the UK's gun laws, but I'll wager the "no carrying with CO2 cylinder" idea originated with the prohibition (which I believe DOES exist) against carrying a "loaded" airgun in public: such as, walking down a public street with one, or carrying one on public transit.

"Loaded" here referring to pellets, not propellant.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I would not mind leaving it pressurised on a day to day basis but would remove the gas if I was not shooting for say over a week or so.

The reason as far as I know it, is that co2 itself damages rubber seals, causing them to swell. As far as I know it to be. If that is still true, won't happen overnight though.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    With respect, that's bollocks.

All that leaving a C02 cart in the gun will do is possibly compress the seal. If this happens you'll know, because the fresh cart you put in will not seal and will vent CO2 everywhere. Five minutes with a warm hair drier blowing up the CO2 chamber will restore the seal to it's normal shape. I store all my CO2 guns with CO2 intact and I've never lost a seal yet. A drop of Pellgun oil on the top of the bulb will also help keep your seals nice and supple and keep them from drying out.

As for it being a "Firearms Offence" to carry a gassed-up pistol, where did you hear that one? It's just not true.

I agree 110 percent... my ratcatcher always has gas in.....ive had it 7 years now, no seals needed, no problems ever!
    ive also got a crossman pistol thats got gas in, no problems with that either.

and it is not illegal to carry a gassed up gun at all...look at the airgun section of firearms online.
    i watch top gear and discovery channel so i know everything about cars and stuff......especially stuff

I think it varies with the pistol and what is actually under pressure.
    I always follow the manual and the only one I have seen that says leave gas in is the S&W 78G.

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I leave the gas in my Tau7, but the capsule doesn't press against a seal in that pistol. Anything where the neck of the capsule is against a seal, I shoot it empty and take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    I leave the gas in my Tau7, but the capsule doesn't press against a seal in that pistol. Anything where the neck of the capsule is against a seal, I shoot it empty and take it out.
    What is the PX4 Storm like on that front?

Co2 seals

Have a few Co2 guns,

Have had some for years, but I work on only leaving a Co2 cartridge in for a day or two,

And as yet I have no valve problems?

I do occassionally treat the end of the cartridge to a smear of Pell Gun Oil to keep the seal supple and in general work out how many turns of the cartridge screw is required to gain complete seal on lock up or screw up () in some cases, so as to exert the least pressure on the seal,

A good way is to save and buy Co2 in bulk via mail order, IE: 500 shared between two runs out at about 74 quid apiece,

Then you can blow the World to bits

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    What is the PX4 Storm like on that front?
    I've had one for a couple of years, it's only spent about two weeks of that time without a cylinder in it - no problems yet
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com