Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co2 and pressure

Discussion

AHHH the cut and thrust of informed debate.
    Look guys the thing here is, does leaving the cartridge in the gun damage the gun.
    Even the manufacturers are divided on that by the look of these replies. So what each of us as individuals BELIEVE is irrelevant since we are supposed to follow the manufacturers instructions.
    My OPINION is not law, word of God, or legal statute. It is NOT infalible as I, like many others, can get wrong information or misinterpret what I get. If I am wrong I can be certain that if it is done on this board it will be corrected, and I am pleased that this is so.
    I have suffered from a seal failure due to compression of the seal, that was on a Daisy Powerline 44 and I have no idea how old the seal in there was, but when you look at the seal and see a depressed ring where the cartridge has been pressing on it, it is a little obvious thet these things can happen. So since then I have vented the remaining CO2 and backed off the pressure on the mechanism which holds it in contact with the seal.
    Those of you who say that the seal is not in contact with the cartridge obviously have a different mechanism for piercing the cartridge and retaining the gas in the gun. This is what happens on my QB78. However in general why take the chance? Take the cartridge out.

As far as transporting a gassed up gun is concerned my info is definately "ancient" but it will be good if someone who is currently up to press on regs gives us a current answer.

Regards
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    As far as transporting a gassed up gun is concerned my info is definately "ancient" but it will be good if someone who is currently up to press on regs gives us a current answer.

Regards
    Target Bunny
    Jim,
    Just tell us which bit of which act/law covers this & we can check for ammendments
    Simples,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I think there's a lot of confusion as to what bits of firearm legislation apply to what pistols.
    I suspect the rule about transporting with gas in may have applied whilst CO2 guns were "On Ticket", I'm not sure what happened once CO2 guns were all taken off ticket but if it were a legal requirement then surely user manuals would carry the warning or a printed sheet would be included in the box to avoid customers unwittingly breaking the law?
    Now that CO2 guns are classed as Air Guns the sections of legislation applying to them will be different to when they were "Firearms Requiring a License",
    ATB,
    Nick
    Nick is correct.

It is not a legal requirement to remove the CO2 capsule when transporting the gun.

If anyone can post the relative information from the FA Act to prove otherwise then I would be very surprised

The gun should of course be in a case as with all airguns when being transported and it always makes sense to remove a magazine when you have finished shooting

The seal will however age more quickly if left fully compressed
    John
    hold me back !!

The Act

Sorry Nick
    It was just a piece of dimly recollected info from many years ago. Besides which I can never read the act without raising my blood pressure to the point where I need a few whiskeys to help me chill.
    Hmmmm maybe I should read a few passages tonight.

I could easily be wrong, but I accept that as a fact any time I make a statement before checking the paperwork. As I recal it I was talking to a copper at the time and discussing the dumber parts of the act and that legislating law abiding citizens was actually a waste of time.

Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

I spent half an head-scratching hour yesterday trawling through the Amended Firearms Act and could not find any reference to air pistols being gassed-up or not. I did however find a specific reference in the Interpretations section which appears to categorically state that having pellets in a mag not in the airgun does not make the airgun loaded. I think it was section 57(6).

If there is a law about gassed-up pistols it must be in another Act (like the 50ft rule is in the Road Traffic Act not the Firearms Act), but I must say I'm very sceptical as I don't see how it could include CO2 pistols but not PCPs.

88grm CO2 capsules and Bulk CO2 bottles are designed to be left in a gun. With CO2 capsules, it is possible to use many in one shooting session, therefore the seal gets more of a hammering. As stated before on here, Pelgun oil (I have been using automatic transmission fluid as well) keeps the seals 'pleasantly moist' therefore adding to their longevity.

alf

Quote Originally Posted by Avtomat View Post
    88grm CO2 capsules and Bulk CO2 bottles are designed to be left in a gun. With CO2 capsules, it is possible to use many in one shooting session, therefore the seal gets more of a hammering. As stated before on here, Pelgun oil (I have been using automatic transmission fluid as well) keeps the seals 'pleasantly moist' therefore adding to their longevity.

alf
    Im trying to get pelgun oil but its been out of stock at the sponsors for ages!