Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawke "Panorama- EV" 4-12x40

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    called in at BAR earlier to have a proper look at the new scopes.

People have said they are similar lens spec to a Frontier (which I doubted) as I have 2 Frontiers already so know the scope and know why they carry the £400 price tag.

Anyway, cutting to the point and a direct side by side comparison between a £150 and a £400 scope......

Both set to my preferred 12x with the focus set to an approx true 22yards (not what the markings say on the AO), the depth of field is the same, the frontier has a small advantage in picture quality (and so it should), but not £250 worth of an advantage.

Where the Panorama had a massive advantage over the more expensive Frontier is Field of view. With the Panorama, you can see AT LEAST a 20% wider picture which I found amazing. I think the advantage here is you get to see more of what's happening around the target area so can give a better guess for windage allowance.

Will do a full review of mine when i've had chance to get it on a gun and have a play. I went for the Map6a, 4-12x40 (AO) Panorama EV
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/
    Staffordshire Custom Rifles - Maverick & MTC Connect

Glad you like yours Dave. Same choice as I made, and a very interesting comparison with your Frontiers.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

still cant get my head round why they havnt done the half mil dots with ao. theyd sell a lot more.

Used the scope today for a local HFT event. It performed admirably, but will reset parallax to 25 yards as normal when using it next time out, as the 15 yard setting did induce some error (not surprisingly) at the 45 yarders.
    I found the MAP 6A reticle spot on incidentally, with the first dash below cross hairs equating to both 10 and 45 yards.
    Another mate was well impressed and has ordered the same model as mine this evening, he is currently using the half mill Hawke TAC 30.
    The sight picture, as I have previously mentioned, is both very wide and very bright. All in all I am more than chuffed with a quality optic not costing the earth.

Andy

Well got my non px adjustable Panorama on top of my new EV2 on sportsmatch low mounts today. before the zero session got under way, I did have to adjust the paralax, this entail unscrewing the lock ring at the front which was very tight, but after this was done I reset it so my 45yarders were blurred (but still shootable) and then preceeded to check all the ranges. Well all I can say is wow, for a scope that only costs £129 it's brilliant, my 8yds targets were pretty clear, easily shootable and bracketable. There is a hint of blurr at 15yds progressively getting more blurred down to 8yds, clear at 20yds out to 30/32yds and then getting blurr out to 45yds+. This may not sound ideal but I also use blurr as well as bracketing to rangefind so very usefull to me. I had to wind the ocular eye out to bring the reticle clear for all targets but this is down to the users eye.
    The reticle is the Half mildot type, exactly the same as the Tac 30 with the hollow posts etc and illumination comes in red and blue (very good actually) in 5 intensity settings.
    Over all, this scope would suit the hunter and the HFT shooter on a budget whilst still offering some top quality features. for the hunter then probably the AO model would be better if you don't mind the Map6 reticle. For an out and out HFT scope then, yes there are better scopes available but for £129?
    I'll keep you all informed of it's progress.
    Mark
    FX Streamline STX/Aeron. MTC Connect 3-12x24 SCB

Glad you are enjoying yours as well Mark! I think we both agree that for the money, its currently pretty hard to beat this new scope. I rezeroed my Rapid with the parallax set at the normal 25 yard HFT range and the sight picture is still pretty damned clear from 10-45.
    The fact that you were able to unscrew the objective housing and readjust your parallax on the fixed scope will no doubt be reassuring to others who prefer the half-mill reticle on the fixed versions. I reckon the MAP 6A is also good for both HFT and hunting as well.

Andy

I have a couple these in the 4-12x40 fixed half mildot format, while i agree they are exceptional for the price i have spotted a flaw, the turret caps do not tighten down onto the rubber sealing washers, infact if they are tighened down a little too much when they are undone they turn the adjusters, make a note of where they are set and try it! I cured this by putting a 22x1mm o ring over the threads of each turret, the caps now seal on these before touching the adjusters.
    BSA Ultra .177 Regged Nightforce 2.5-10x24

Ive been watching this thread for quite a while and one of the things that attracted me was the half mil dot as this would obviously help with hold over/under using my .22

Well behind the wifes back Ive just ordered one and should get it on Tuesday (while she is at her mums )

Martin

I got my Hawke Panorama today but unfortunately I going to return it as I just cannot see the mil dots or the half mildots and there was very little diference with the blue iluminating recticule on and the red was simply a jumble of lines.

So while there may be a fault with the iluminating recticle with my scope I still cannot see bug*er all with it switched off, shame that.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin(rockape) View Post
    I got my Hawke Panorama today but unfortunately I going to return it as I just cannot see the mil dots or the half mildots and there was very little diference with the blue iluminating recticule on and the red was simply a jumble of lines.

So while there may be a fault with the iluminating recticle with my scope I still cannot see bug*er all with it switched off, shame that.

Martin
    .er, not wanting to teach grandpa to suck eggs, but did you adjust the focus on the ret.?

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Oophs! no I didnt but the ret is very fine I suspect that I would have struggled anyway.

I've never had to adjust previous scopes that much and have seen very little difference when I did so.

I've since returned the scopes and got a replacement on its way a Hawke Endurance not half mil dot but half the price.
    I've a an endurance that I bought last February costing £75 now they cost £49.01 plus postage.

Martin

Hawke Panorama

Hi Andy
    As a new member and new to the sport I found your review concise and informative.
    As a left hander I have found it difficult to buy a quality rifle, however with the help of Ian from MAD I have secured a S400 .177 seconded hand. I am now looking to buy the Panorama, should I go for the EV or the AO EV and in what configuration?Any ideas on a second hand one? I will want it mainly for hunting.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin. Thanks for your kind words. As a fellow lefty, I know that finding a decent left handed gun isnt easy so well done on that front!

Scope wise, I would personally recommend the 4-14x40 EV with the adjustable objective lens. If you can get clearance above the magazine on the 410, go for medium mounts as you really want the scope mounted as low as possible. Best way is to take the gun into a gunshop stocking the Panorama scopes and to try with medium mounts.

When using the scope, try to maintain a consistent head position on the stock as this will reduce the liklehood of parallax error. If needs be, use a "pigs ear" scope extension. You will then have yourself a setup that is more than capable in the field. I would also recommend 8-9 mag and setting the objective to 30 yards.

The none AO Panorama would require you adjusting the objective lens yourself, voiding your warranty.

Enjoy your shooting!

Andy

Thumbs up Perfect for any 12ft pound air rifle!

I have the 4-12x50 AO Map 6a version, used for hunting.

I picked mine up from BAR and compared with non AO version before buying.
    Non AO fine on low magnification regards depth of field, on high magnification near objects blurred a little. I don't do HFT; fixed might be good for that?

The scope has a bright image, good enough to do a barn clearance in sodium light.
    Has a wider field of view than average by a good bit as claimed.
    The fine cross hair doesn't obscure your target & Blue IR useful.
    The eye relief range is excellent on low magnification; as magnification increased, you have less leeway where your eye has to be.

I have tested whether Point Of Impact changed with magnification, and didn't appear to (25 yards zero).

The scopes are relatively compact/short and keep weight back on rifle.

For the distances you shoot with a 12ftlb air rifle I'd say perfect; a no brainer at the price - excellent Value For Money, especially in the current climate.

This is a good scope, used one on my mates rifle. Reccommend.