Thread: Hawke "Panorama- EV" 4-12x40

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I considered the fixed version as well Rubi with the half mill reticle, and if the objective loosens easily and you can get it down to 15 yards or so I am sure you will be as chuffed as I am.

I was down at the indoor again this evening for a play as I was still surprised at last nights findings. You do have to aim off very slightly for close or longer range targets, but the combo shoots flatter than anything I have shot before, with the ability to see all of the crucial 8-25 yard targets very clearly while still getting a shootable picture at 40 plus.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Sorry have i missed something here? How can the quality of the scope flatten the trajectory of the pellet??
    AA Prosport.177, HW77.177, HW97K.177, HW98.177, Theoben Evolution.177, Theoben SLR98.177, AA S410.177, Alros Trailsman.22

obviously, it cant. i think he's on about how low the scope sits in the mounts he has on the gun. the nearer to the barrel, the flatter the trajectory seems. i think. lol. been thinking about trying one too. i have 2 tac 30's and think they're great scopes. i think its a shame they dont do the panorama half mil dots with ao. although the map 6 aint bad, the half mil dot ret is loads better. they should do both. i'd defo get one then. as it stands, its a toss up between the panorama 4-12x40ao or 4-12x40 half mil dot or the mamba lite. as ive already said, i'd have a half mil dot ao straight away without even thinking about it. great ret.

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    Deben told me that they will be getting another load of Panorama's in stock in about 20 days time and they will go straight out to dealers. I reckon its a cracking little scope to be honest.

LAity
    Lots and lots of guns !

For ratting Terrier I might be inclined to go for the 3-9x40. Mine focusses down to 10 yards so no problem for rodents!
    Regarding the pellet trajectory, due to how low the scope sits in comparison to the barrel, and the ability of the scope to retain a clear sight picture from 10 to nearly 40 yards (slightly further outside,)the ability to reduce the amount of holdover/under makes the gun appear to shoot flatter, certainly more than my Steyr/Bushnell HFT rig with Mosquitos. This obviously will allow me to feel more confident in hitting reducer targets, as the sight picture is much more focussed and the low sitting scope will make the most of the improved POI variance. This usually means having to increase holdover at 40 plus, but for some reason the combo appears to shoot flat out there as well.
    I am not saying that the characteristics of this scope defy the laws of gravity working on a .177 air pellet, all I am trying to say is that with a low mount and barrel arrangement in combination with this particular scope, the combination appears ideal for both HFT and hunting at legal limit airgun ranges. All will be revealed on Sunday when I will discover if the scope has had a noticeable impact, as I am confident it will with 15mm targets at up to 25 yards. I managed to achieve joint top score at Oldham last time with a 45ex50 using the Steyr and look forward to bettering that using my preffered Rapid/cheap scope combination.

Andy

called in at BAR earlier to have a proper look at the new scopes.

People have said they are similar lens spec to a Frontier (which I doubted) as I have 2 Frontiers already so know the scope and know why they carry the £400 price tag.

Anyway, cutting to the point and a direct side by side comparison between a £150 and a £400 scope......

Both set to my preferred 12x with the focus set to an approx true 22yards (not what the markings say on the AO), the depth of field is the same, the frontier has a small advantage in picture quality (and so it should), but not £250 worth of an advantage.

Where the Panorama had a massive advantage over the more expensive Frontier is Field of view. With the Panorama, you can see AT LEAST a 20% wider picture which I found amazing. I think the advantage here is you get to see more of what's happening around the target area so can give a better guess for windage allowance.

Will do a full review of mine when i've had chance to get it on a gun and have a play. I went for the Map6a, 4-12x40 (AO) Panorama EV
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/
    Staffordshire Custom Rifles - Maverick & MTC Connect

Glad you like yours Dave. Same choice as I made, and a very interesting comparison with your Frontiers.
    Andy