Thread: Hawke "Panorama- EV" 4-12x40

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Kevin. Thanks for your kind words. As a fellow lefty, I know that finding a decent left handed gun isnt easy so well done on that front!

Scope wise, I would personally recommend the 4-14x40 EV with the adjustable objective lens. If you can get clearance above the magazine on the 410, go for medium mounts as you really want the scope mounted as low as possible. Best way is to take the gun into a gunshop stocking the Panorama scopes and to try with medium mounts.

When using the scope, try to maintain a consistent head position on the stock as this will reduce the liklehood of parallax error. If needs be, use a "pigs ear" scope extension. You will then have yourself a setup that is more than capable in the field. I would also recommend 8-9 mag and setting the objective to 30 yards.

The none AO Panorama would require you adjusting the objective lens yourself, voiding your warranty.

Enjoy your shooting!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Thumbs up Perfect for any 12ft pound air rifle!

I have the 4-12x50 AO Map 6a version, used for hunting.

I picked mine up from BAR and compared with non AO version before buying.
    Non AO fine on low magnification regards depth of field, on high magnification near objects blurred a little. I don't do HFT; fixed might be good for that?

The scope has a bright image, good enough to do a barn clearance in sodium light.
    Has a wider field of view than average by a good bit as claimed.
    The fine cross hair doesn't obscure your target & Blue IR useful.
    The eye relief range is excellent on low magnification; as magnification increased, you have less leeway where your eye has to be.

I have tested whether Point Of Impact changed with magnification, and didn't appear to (25 yards zero).

The scopes are relatively compact/short and keep weight back on rifle.

For the distances you shoot with a 12ftlb air rifle I'd say perfect; a no brainer at the price - excellent Value For Money, especially in the current climate.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    I bought one of these scopes (4-12x40AO) 2nd hand on here recently.

It has replaced a Hawke 3-9x50AO Pro-Stalk on my FAC'd HW80K and I have to say I've been impressed by the image quality; especially considering the Jap optics of the Pro-Stalk weren't half bad either. It is very clear and does seem to have a very good FOV considering the obj size. The reticle is also very useful, especially when used with the Hawke ballistic software and the blue/red IR is very good indeed.

I have to say that this scope is not what I envisaged for my custom HW80K, which I consider to be a bit special. I would like to see a 3-9x40 Nikon or a Bushnell Elite on there but, to be honest, I can't justify replacing this little Hawke Panorama EV with something more expensive. Not right now anyway.

An absolutely superb scope for the money and thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

ATB
    Paul
    Last edited by Hellequin; 22-02-2011 at 02:50 AM.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Hi all

I recently bought a Hawke Panorama EV 4-12x40 IR with half mil dot ret which I intended to use on my s400 . Firstly the scope sits really low to the barrel with low mounts which is great as you don't have to strain your neck to get a clear image when prone . I have also scooped out the cheek-piece and I have to say it is the best set up I have ever used for comfort and eye relief .

As it sat so low I thought I would give it a test on my prosport and with low mounts it sits a ' films width ' ( 35mm not betamax ) from the action. It's also lighter than scopes I am used to which is a boon when shooting a springer especially if you are a weakling like me .

The scope was parallaxed at 23 yards on 9 mag and seemed to be spot on with 45 yards being blurred , 8 yards wasn't too bad at all which is handy . I tested the scope at 25 yards and with this set up the mil dots were true at 9 mag using the pre printed mil dot targets.

I have never liked red illuminated rets and always found that on high settings they would blur and obscure a small kill zone where as the lowest settings were fairly useless but the Hawke has a blue ret which works surprisingly well . The half mil dot it a real gem and I didn't lose the ret at all , the optics were also right up there easily equal to my bushnells and better than a lot of scope I have owned or tried over the years .

I am not saying these scopes will be for everyone but of all the people who tried in only one said he wouldn't buy one as he favoured a 30/30 ret ( the weirdo . lol )

All in all I am extremely impressed , well done Hawke its a corker !

atvb

Dave

UPDATE : Also took this out and tested it between 8 and 50 yards in low light using the blue IR , simply superb IMO . Optically very impressive !
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Hawke seem to be onto a winner with this particular optic chaps. Great value for money and fine performance to boot!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

mounts

Hi all,

Which mounts would people recommend when using this scope with an HW100. Would the single piece, medium sportsmatch mounts be ok?

cheers

Bernie

Has anyone found a Sunshade which fits the Hawke Panorama EV 4-12x40?

If you have, where did you get it from?

Thanks!