Thread: mk1 Airsporter stocks?

mk1 Airsporter stocks?

I have a nice-ish mk1 BSA Airsporter but the stock has cracked at the pistol grip, (it's been repaired) does anyone have a spare uncracked stock?

Another thing I was wondering was whether anyone made custom stocks for these? Would it be dificult to make a stock for an early Airsporter?

Airsporter stocks

Hi Prewar

A shooting friend of mine who makes the Webley, HW45 and other pistol grips that sell on here and on the bay has made quite a few rifle stocks over the past 5 or 6 years including BSA Cadet Major, Airsporter and more recently 4 or 5 bench rest stocks for club members AA 400's

The first Airsporter Mk1 or 2 stock he made was all by hand other than routing out the action/trigger area.

He then obtained a Mk2 donor Airsporter stock and used that in his copy carver to make several Airsporter Mk1 and 2 stocks including the shorter Club stocks

I believe he sold most of these to BBS Serowman (Roger) to replace cracked stocks in his big collection of Airsporters

Pete's original intention was to make a few more 1 - piece Airsporter stocks and sell them on the BBS

However taking into account the cost of the walnut blank,rejects due to wood cavities/cracks and the length of time it took to make a stock, it was just not economical and he would have had to charge well over £100/stock to make it worth while.
    It is just as rewarding for him to make pistol grips and he is also now doing a lot of hand chequering which he finds very satisfying.

I am not an expert by any means but Pete routed me out a stock for my AA400 which i then finished myself but i spent probably 20-30 hours doing it
    So even with modest tools/equipment I think most of us are capable of making a stock. We also have a retired vet. in the club who had never done any joinery etc and again from a routed out blank he made a superb walnut stock by hand in about a week for his AAMPR

Why not give it a try. Custom Stocks(near Sheffield) would supply you a walnut blank or you could perhaps get a piece of Walnut, Elm, Maple or Ash locally
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Thanks John