Thread: Marmite Intro: You always get one!

Marmite Intro: You always get one!

Well – There’s no way I’m going to get off on the right foot here, but I’m going to do my best to make a polite introduction.

With a current midlife crisis (well not really - that’s a light joke) I’ve decided to get back into air rifles after many years. I used to have a BSA Metor mk1 with open sights and I had years of pleasure from it. I’ve never owned telescopic sights, so I’m breaking the mould and getting some on my new rifle. Majorly gadgety for me (I’ve only just been shown what sun glasses are). I never used to have a gun bag and I’m getting one of those too so it’s snug in the back of my pick up! My Metor used to fit into a cricket bag (with a sock on the barrel) and that went on the back of my bike off into the bush (Good old African savannah). You could only buy 2 types of pellet: .177 or .22. That was it from the local "up town" outdoor retailer (Fereday & Sons). About 673 different fishing flies, massively heavy canvas tents, humungous hunting knives, other peoples fishing and hunting trophies and caps with neck flaps to stop sun burn. But just the 2 types of pellets.

My main interest is shooting for the pot. Woodies, tree rats and rabbits. Love eating. Obviously I’m going to need the practice, so I’ll need to shoot some paper targets too. Just so that my wife and 2 daughters don’t feel I’m just getting another toy, I’ve sold one of my canoes, my golf clubs and snorkelling kit on Fleabay. Now that’s serious dedication.

So why am I getting off on the wrong foot?

Well, I’ve ordered the ultimate Marmite gun: a Hans Hermann Weihrauch 97K...

...(clears throat) THUMB HOLE version. Aaaaaaagggghhhhhhh...! (So add the "T")

Looking forward to being a part (or spare part) of your community........hc
    Last edited by Heltor Chasca; 11-11-2010 at 10:45 PM.

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    Hello and welcome on board mate

hi and welcome

Hello mate,maybe you'll let us know what you think of your new toy.I've got a couple of HW's but not a 97K.

atb,Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    Hello mate,maybe you'll let us know what you think of your new toy.I've got a couple of HW's but not a 97K.

atb,Keith
    The HW97 KT has landed! It really is a quality rifle and I'm very pleased with it although I understand why traditionalists may not like its aesthetics. The thumbhole is genuinely comfy and offers lots of options for hand holds. I personally think it’s a beauty and I’ve been very lucky with the grain of the wood.

I’ve only been doing a bit of plinking in order to zero the scopes and I’ve got to say I’ve never held such a comfy rifle. Not ever having owned scope before, I haven’t had any trouble settling in with it. The scope sits perfectly and I can see right through the tube without craning or bending my neck in any odd fashion. I’m already getting tight little groups, though I’m sure this is down to the rifle and not me.

Once it’s broken in and I’m happy with a pellet I like (and I get in lots more practice) I’ll be off to the fields and woods I have permission to shoot on.

Many thanks to Vernon and Robbie at Mendip Shooting Ground for their great service and for making me a very happy punter. I have no affiliation/connection etc etc blah blah blah to the seller: I just think it’s worth letting people know when you get good service.......hc

I’ve managed to get in an couple of hours plinking in order to get the scopes zeroed in and I’ve been getting fairly consistent thumbnail sized groups so I’m very pleased. The rifle is more accurate than I am believe me.

This morning, just before I left for work I was gifted a very nice sized buck squirrel using RWS Superdomes. First shot, very humane (clean head shot) and on my land. It was a cold day at work today so I felt a wee bit peckish when I got home. I paunched my quarry and had the heart, liver and kidneys in butter, cream and Dijon mustard. A nice little amuse bouche. I’ve kept the pelt and rest of the meat for later use. My 8 year old daughter has baggzied the tail!

Thanks for reading..hc