Thread: buggel what?

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

buggel what?

while doing my useual weekly tour of my local gun emporium an interesting and some what different offering came to light ;i had selected for this weeks purchase a humble but solid milbro/dna series70/71 which at first appearence resembled a bulbous tornado with more refinements then something jumped out at me ,it looked like a single barrel shotgun big and very bulbous massive metalwork at the action end ,slimming down to a very slim long barrel a kind of oversize gallery gun, not sure how you begin to spell its name but here goes [buggelspanner]circa 1910 i think] couldnt quite see it fitting in with my ever growing collection of 70/80s springers and pump ups ;it was made to look even more huge as next door to it was a marksman 740 not seen one of these before either combination of smoothbore bb and pellet gun.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    while doing my useual weekly tour of my local gun emporium an interesting and some what different offering came to light ;i had selected for this weeks purchase a humble but solid milbro/dna series70/71 which at first appearence resembled a bulbous tornado with more refinements then something jumped out at me ,it looked like a single barrel shotgun big and very bulbous massive metalwork at the action end ,slimming down to a very slim long barrel a kind of oversize gallery gun, not sure how you begin to spell its name but here goes [buggelspanner]circa 1910 i think] couldnt quite see it fitting in with my ever growing collection of 70/80s springers and pump ups ;it was made to look even more huge as next door to it was a marksman 740 not seen one of these before either combination of smoothbore bb and pellet gun.

Hi Bob

there's only one 'G' in the name (Bugelspanner)

According to Hillers third edition of Collecting air rifles it was made by Oscar Will at Venuswaffenwerks, Zella street, Blasii, Germany.

41 inches in length with a 20.5 inch .25cal smoothbore barrel.
    Apparently instructions on how to strip the gun are in Airgun World, December '79..

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Bugels

Nice and different to the usal pre War stuff we get here from Europe - Militta's etc . Came in different calibres .25 being the most common as it was to fire darts not slugs . But .22 and also .20 . Some examples were decroated with engraving to the steel work .
    On no account ever try and tak one apart - 2 convulute flat steel springs are used and the thing tries to take flight .
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

thanks both jon and john,convulute springs? times two and all hidden in the smaller section in the action;and there was me thinking the orig6 was a tricky model to work on;has anyone on here rebuilt one?. i think i will strick to nursing tornados back to health and advising "gggr" on how to fix his gold scorpion!!! .

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    thanks both jon and john,convulute springs? times two and all hidden in the smaller section in the action;and there was me thinking the orig6 was a tricky model to work on;has anyone on here rebuilt one?. i think i will strick to nursing tornados back to health and advising "gggr" on how to fix his gold scorpion!!! .
    I have had 3, here is one, .25 Smoothbore ! A member on here had one in .20 ! Cheers,

Last edited by gedfinn 2; 13-11-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: More Pics !

o yes if any bbs mem on here has one or owned one, or even 3 it was going to be ged;they didnt believe in making the small the funny thing is its near in the shop to a full scale replica of a brown bess and its about the same size.!! odd really when one considers that the action was relatively small thanks for the picci.
    bob