Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW 50s-better than FWB sport or not?

HW 50s-better than FWB sport or not?

After reading all the posts on the FWB sport since joining the forum & lusting after one since I first saw & read about them(a long time ago-LOL) I got a nice 124 with maccari kit fitted. Thought it lived up to the hype & a great gun till I picked up the much underated HW50s which rapidly turned into my favorite gun. Very similar dimensions & "shootability" to the sport but so much more forgiving to shoot & the trigger is a legend & quite rightly so. Has anyone on here owned both these guns & shot them side by side & would like to comment ?
    Last edited by junglie; 19-11-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    After reading all the posts on the FWB sport since joining the forum & lusting after one since I first saw & read about them(a long time ago-LOL) I got a nice 124 with maccari kit fitted. Thought it lived up to the hype & a great gun till I picked up the much underated HW50s which rapidly turned into my favorite gun. Very similar dimensions & "shotability" to the sport but so much more forgiving to shoot & the trigger is a legend & quite rightly so. Has anyone on here owned both these guns & shot them side by side & would like to comment ?
    Yes. FWB Sport for me.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Yes. FWB Sport for me.

ATB
    Ian
    Your fancy Webley Omega is your best rifle, shockingly good that is Mr I. J. mate.

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    Your fancy Webley Omega is your best rifle, shockingly good that is Mr I. J. mate.
    Do you mean the one with the adjustable gas ram system? It was a prototype that came from the Webley auction. I cant understand why it never went into full production.

ATB
    Ian

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Do you mean the one with the adjustable gas ram system? It was a prototype that came from the Webley auction. I cant understand why it never went into full production.

ATB
    Ian
    Thats the one, its awsome mate. Best gas ram Ive ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    Thats the one, its awsome mate. Best gas ram Ive ever tried.
    I also got the Webley Vulcan Mk 2 .177 which is also powered by an adjustable gas ram.

Sorry JUNGLIE for high jacking your thread but, as often happens in the Collectors section we are easily distracted from the original subject. Good innit.

ATB
    Ian

I am personally shocked and disgusted that anybody might compare any other gun with the hallowed Feinwerkbau Sport. Please go and wash your mouth out with soap!!!
    I have not actually shot an HW50 but can understand how you might have been seduced by that smoooth Record trigger unit.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

HW50 is miles better than rubbishy fwb sport (i've shot neither)

hw50-------------------------------------sport
    2 piece cocking lever----------------------1 piece cocking lever
    rekord trigger----------------------------- plastic trigger
    good safety catch-------------------------wonky safety catch
    curvy womanly stock-----------------------pointy spikey stock
    didn't do zap gun version-------------------did a zap gun version!
    propper detent ----------------------------used a marble

I could go on.........how can you mention a sport in such hallowed company as the awsome hw50
    Last edited by maximus; 19-11-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spacing

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    HW50 is miles better than rubbishy fwb sport (i've shot neither)

hw50-------------------------------------sport
    2 piece cocking lever----------------------1 piece cocking lever
    rekord trigger----------------------------- plastic trigger
    good safety catch-------------------------wonky safety catch
    curvy womanly stock-----------------------pointy spikey stock
    didn't do zap gun version-------------------did a zap gun version!
    propper detent ----------------------------used a marble

I could go on.........how can you mention a sport in such hallowed company as the awsome hw50
    You forgot the poxy locking arrangement of the hinge pin on the FWB breach.
    And the self stipping trigger block retaining bolt.

7/9 must try harder

All the best Mick

i did say i could go on........ you are of course correct

HW50 versus Sport

I can help.
    Ive owned all the classics over the years.
    The modern HW50S is more accurate but i do love my .177s.....so cannot speak for the .22s of any models. The control you get with the Record second stage edges out the second pull feel of the Sport and splits the groups down by about 1/4 inch at 20yds fairly easily. It also has slightly less recoil. Off the bench, trigger control efforts are very much levelled and i would be hard pushed to find much between them, suggesting they are as consistant as each other. However, the Sport is more naturally a 11.8ft rifle. Even untuned it can hover the peak areas of 11ftlbs and i did have a .177 stray the limit that i tuned at a massive 870 fps. The Sport is perhaps the most naturally powerful .177 12ftlb design air rifle.
    For me though, the 50S is wonderful at its 800fps often producing one holers at 10 mtrs and clover leaves out to 20yds. Its easier on scopes, has a much shorter cocking slot, making it more solid in the forestock. I personally didnt like the forend raked back angle on the Sport but prefer the gentle sporting curve of the 50 but then nothing has ever beaten the Firearm sporting rifle design of the Sports pistol grip, cheekpiece and manlicker rake at the trigger guard. For this, the Sport has a lovely slim pistol grip feel with classic design chequering.......but trust me....only the early models. The Mk3 was horrid.

I still own a 50s which i occasion to hunt with but my personal all time fav is the BSF55N 855fps with Hobbies amazing handling and incredibly fast action.
    Love my Airsporter MK 2 for looks also but youll never match the above in the accuracy stakes with any Airsporter....and dont let anyone tell you different.

Hi Bessa

There is another member from Worcestershire who has a soft spot for the HW50, his gun is shown on page 26 of December's Airgun World.

After 30 years waiting I've finally seen it.

All the best Mick

Thanks for feedback

Thanks gents comments noted,forgot to add I'd love a go of a good bsf b55 to compare as this is a gun I've always wanted too, but like rocking horse stuff to find up here in't frozen north.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Thanks gents comments noted,forgot to add I'd love a go of a good bsf b55 to compare as this is a gun I've always wanted too, but like rocking horse stuff to find up here in't frozen north.
    It is said that when Weihrauch bought out BSF the B55 became the Weihrauch 85.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    There is another member from Worcestershire who has a soft spot for the HW50, his gun is shown on page 26 of December's Airgun World.
    Thanks for dragging me into this, Mick.

When Mally sees this thread, World War Three is going to break out, and I don't especially want to be caught up in the middle of it.