Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW 50s-better than FWB sport or not?

Personally, I am lost for words and still reeling from the shock of the negative comments concerning the svelte Sport. I have just had to put my brace of Sports away in case they glance over my shoulder and read the horrible things you naughty, naughty boys have been saying about them.

I am afraid that all of you reporting negative comments will have to be reported to the "Feinwerkbau Police" who will not be amused at all and have been known to use classic gun barrels as a means of delivering a well deserved enema.

Herr Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Sport

Dont be too upset about your Sports.....it was arguably in the top 3 of its day and even by modern stds remains a top 5 or 6 poser of the Spring design.
    Its simply that its been compared to the later...and thoroughly excellent version of the HW50S here.....and is up against a stiff challenge.
    Back then the 50 was quite low powered at about 9.8ftlbs but was up-rated around 86/87 which saw its vel rise to about 11ftlbs. Massively underated at the time because we were all power mongers back then...it soon began to win friends with the extra power and is now a total classic.

Sadly the HW85 was never a BSF55 in any sense of the word, with a completely different action and stock. It was really just a myth based on the 85 being a similarly light to mmedium weight sporter in an attempt to filll the gap lost by the perfect BSF offerings.
    Many have never forgiven Weirauch for buying up its competitor and robbing us of the sublime 55 and S60 models.
    The long lean cylinder hit a perfect balance for swept volume (either by accident or otherwise) Its long stroke housed a ultra fast unwinding spring and tight fitting components. The gun fires with a very fast, solid thock, returning 855fps. It has a neat notch ramp rearsight with low profile barlycorn foresight and really good 2 stage trigger. There is almost no forend slot and it handles like a 41 inch Rimfire. I used it extensively as a Rook shooter during the season and shot many clean through with .177 Hobbies. It was perfect for perching high on the shoulder with a simple 4x40 scope......couldnt miss with the thing. A nicely tuned std Supersport starts to get somewhere close but you wouldnt trade one for a Supersport....no way.
    Last edited by Bessa; 20-11-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Thanks for dragging me into this, Mick.

When Mally sees this thread, World War Three is going to break out, and I don't especially want to be caught up in the middle of it.

Hi Jim

I have your article HaWaii 5 0 on PDF, and in the past I have sent it to many people around the world.

I had never seen the finished gun until I looked in December's Airgun World.

The HW50 has a large following in America which seems a bit strange considering they have no upper power limits.

Tell Mally to bugger off.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Bessa View Post

Sadly the HW85 was never a BSF55 in any sense of the word, with a completely different action and stock. It was really just a myth based on the 85 being a similarly light to medium weight sporter in an attempt to filll the gap lost by the perfect BSF offerings.

Not a myth Bessa

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/showcatimage.asp?id=24806

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/showcatimage.asp?id=24573

All the best Mick

A Myth

It may have been roughly based on the general layout of the 55 but the intended drg comparison has nothing to do with the actual tools themselves.
    For a start that new 55 plan was used for a planned re-design for a new 55 at the point of takeover but never actually happened...creating the myth. The 55 was simply redesigned and evolved into the 85 losing all the wonderful characteristics of the original 55 that only owners know. The laminated block of metal to make its main trigger block was imediately dropped, while the 85 used the traditional Record screwed in block layout and a complete redesigned stock, following usual Weihrauch pattern.
    The piston of the 85 followed similar dimensions of the 55 but lacked the stepped grooves around the cylinder just rear to the breech and the piston was different......thus not 55 components at all. Meanwhile the superb basic rimfire stock of the 55 with useful forend groove was perfect for many who used it.
    That said, the 85 is a superb gun in its own right. Often overlooked in favour of the larger 80 but a much better choice within British limits being lighter and handier but matching accuracy and power. It pays a 55 a nice compliment but is not the same gun by any stretch of the imagination.
    Last edited by Bessa; 20-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Personally, I am lost for words and still reeling from the shock of the negative comments concerning the svelte Sport. I have just had to put my brace of Sports away in case they glance over my shoulder and read the horrible things you naughty, naughty boys have been saying about them.

I am afraid that all of you reporting negative comments will have to be reported to the "Feinwerkbau Police" who will not be amused at all and have been known to use classic gun barrels as a means of delivering a well deserved enema.
    Herr Andy
    Not a mk3 barrel with the weight AND forsight IN PLACE

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Not a mk3 barrel with the weight AND forsight IN PLACE
    Ooooh. Thats below the belt - literally.

The best advertisement for the HW50 and BSF55/60 (and 65) was the 'Sport Mk 3. Ive never owned one and wouldn't want to.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 20-11-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I thought the only part that was the same with the 55 and the 85 was
    the scope ramp??

I have to admit to not having ever seen, never mind used a BSF 55. From the descriptions given it certainly sounds like a superb gun. I can of course remember reading about them years ago, and it sounds to me the Messrs Weihrauch certainly sunk it without trace when they acquired the company, which sounds like we all missed out as a result.

A trip to my airgunning library is in order to check out the details of both the BSF and the HW 50 which also sounds impressive.

Andy

I have to admit to not having ever seen, never mind used a BSF 55. From the descriptions given it certainly sounds like a superb gun. I can of course remember reading about them years ago, and it sounds to me the Messrs Weihrauch certainly sunk it without trace when they acquired the company, which sounds like we all missed out as a result.

A trip to my airgunning library is in order to check out the details of both the BSF and the HW 50 which also sounds impressive.

Andy
    Also check out the Venom Bavaria Custom B55.

The gun was made as a collaboration between Venom and BSF.

ATB Mick

The HW50 is highly regarded over here. Back to back against the FWB, if it were my money, I'd go for the HW50.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Also check out the Venom Bavaria Custom B55.

The gun was made as a collaboration between Venom and BSF.

ATB Mick
    Would love to get my hands on one of these. They really are rocking horse poo

Up until now I have never felt the need to shoot anything but the weighty HW80- but who knows as I get older and (more feeble-gulp), maybe I will change my main shooting iron to something more lightweight like a Sport or an '85

Dave

Didn't like the S80 S90 or the 54.
    I loved my 55's wish i still had the two.
    FWB Sport...the most accurate hunting rifle of the era....124
    Despite its faults it was better in my hands and accounted for more prey
    than any other gun ...guess what the Bsf's were sold to fund.
    Hw50..feels like a pseudo 55 with less kudos but a better trigger.
    Never could shoot small guns for toffee..55, Innova,.etc.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Have you got a BSF/Venom 55 in your vast collection by any chance Ian?

Have you got a BSF/Venom 55 in your vast collection by any chance Ian?

A few BSFs including 2 x 54s (NOT my favourite model - built like a brick out house) 2 x 70s, 2 x 60 (incl an early 1967 version) 2 x 55, a 55 Deluxe, the junior model 35 and the common as dog much 65. Alas no Venom BSFs.
    I did have a go with a model 80 once but it wasn't too my liking.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk