Thread: New Pistol

New Pistol

Hi all, have posted in the newbie section and thank you for the response, my daughter (13 years) has taken a keen interest in 10m indoor pistols, we have joined our local club and she is improving by the day, seeing as christmas is just around the corner i have brought her a brand new gamo compact, my question is this, is there anything i need to do to the pistol when it is delivered, cleaning, putting x amount of pellets through etc, any advice would be good
    Cheers Phil

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Phil
    Good starter gun, just shoot it. Leave her to a good coach, whilst you save for a Steyr LP 2 compact for her in six months time!
    Welcome to the sport,
    Good shooting.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

new pistol

Phil
    Reading the instruction leaflet before using, something we are reluctant to do, is a good start!
    Unlike some firearms, the barrel will not arrive heavily oiled and you should be able to use straight away (after having read the instr…).
    One feature I’ve noticed with Compacts as supplied sometimes is that the rearsight notch is too narrow. The instruction leaflet describes how to widen this. If it is too narrow the shooter struggles unnecessarily to obtain a clear sight picture and snatches the trigger in the brief moment that everything looks right.
    A popular configuration for the appearance of sights is in the proportions; foresight “1” and each strip of light either side “1/2”. I would suggest that you draw a diagram of this so that the notch can be adjusted to suit as seen by your daughter.
    Many new owners are not aware of the Dry-fire facility on this pistol. Dry firing allows training away from the range and without the noise of air discharge. To get Dry-fire, “open” the pistol carefully to between 60 and 90 degrees and as you do so you’ll hear a “click”. Close the pistol without continuing the charging stroke and you’ll find the trigger set ready for “dry” practice.

Alan
    Last edited by alan brown; 19-11-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: layout

Thanks for the responses, will follow the advice above, i hope she keeps a keen interest in what seems a very rewarding sport.

If she's tried someone else's Compact, and liked it, find out whether that still had the factory grip or if it had been re-shaped/modified in any way, in which case you'll have to attack yours with sandpaper, dremel, etc as appropriate.

Also, familiarise yourself with where this gun will need the occasional spot of lubrication with a good quality oil (the manual isn't any help on this point), namely the three main pivots as follows:
    Rear of air cylinder/valve housing to frame,
    Front of overlever to frame,
    Tail of piston rod to overlever,
    and then also the piston seal itself, which can be lubricated via the small air hole in the side of the air cylinder.

Iain