Thread: Mk 1 Meteor Power

Mk 1 Meteor Power

Hi all

I've recently obtained 2 early Mk 1 Meteors, a .177 and a .22

Both are early serial numbers which is nice - a 3*** and 7***

Upon arrival, the .177 was shooting at 4.5 ftlb the .22 at 10.8

The .177 had a completely knackerd leather piston washer, the .22 was runnng with a very strong overlength spring and has 4 cracks in the pistol grip as a result

I have replaced the springs in both with new Chambers "original" 10" meteor springs which have been polished on the ends and I have put in HW 30 breach seals.

The leather washer in the .22 was in excellent condition with nice SM50 colour and good integrity so this was not changed. I replaced the leather washer in the .177 with a used very good condition leather washer which I got from a popular auction site, complete with piston head and metal back washer for about 3quid

having polished the inside of the compression chambers and the front and back ends of the pistons, both are now back together correctly lubed.

I have put about 50 pellets through each gun so far and they are both now running at around 8.5 ftlb

I was hoping for more like 10 ftlb.

Did I expect too much?

Thanks for all and any advice.

Last edited by MattyBoy; 19-11-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I would say 8.5 ft lbs sounds about right. The meteors were not huge on power.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratcatcher View Post
    Agreed ... about right. It may vary a little according to pellet make, but otherwise OK.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratcatcher View Post
    I have a late 1960s 0.22 Super Meteor which was given a full service last year with new spring, etc. The gunsmith chrono'd it at 9.5 ft lbs after the service. Hope this info helps.

Meteors

The .22 is more efficient than the .177 and usually produces more power...might be dieselling of course after a new lube!

About 8ft/lbs is normal for the Meteor. Some have achieved more with modified pistons etc. I have removed a number of monstrous oversize springs from Meteors which do not usually help and can cause breakages in the cocking linkage.

Mike95

The Mk1. Meteors are the best ones in my opinion...they just seem to shoot better & i've owned ones that produce a healthy output..just been talking to another owner & his is doing 540fps in .22..but would agree the .177's are usually lower power.

Hi. I have a 60s/70s Meteor (not Super Meteor) (cannot read the serial number - must have been painted over) in 0.22 which has never been serviced (the second owner knew the first owner) and the mainspring is very weak. It was chrono'd at 7.4 ft lbs.