Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UBC 10m Season 4 Rd 1 Starts Sat 20th Nov

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    All scores recieved and replied to so far, you won't have any competition from me this month that's for sure - I did pants!

Maybe that should be more pants than usual?
    Well I ain't shot mine yet. It will be a late entry from me, so expect mine Sunday afternoon.

As for pants I'm expecting mine to be >>THESE<< on the day
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Jim
    I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!
    I hit the 10 metre target 5 out of 5 with a one handed hold. I used the Nemisis (.177).

No, I will NOT be telling you the actual scores.
    I was thinking the same thing when I started to read your message, Jim: "OK, he hit the target, but WHERE on the target?"

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Question Where

Sorry I did not make this plain but I currently do not have a "range" and I have to nip out and shoot whatever chance I get.
    Also I normally only take part in the Vintage comp but untill I can ensure I have a regular opportunity to shoot it is not the best way to ensure consistantly bad shooting. But like Paddy, I enjoy the challenge.

Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Sorry I did not make this plain but I currently do not have a "range" and I have to nip out and shoot whatever chance I get.
    Also I normally only take part in the Vintage comp but untill I can ensure I have a regular opportunity to shoot it is not the best way to ensure consistantly bad shooting. But like Paddy, I enjoy the challenge.

Regards
    Jim D
    Only joking with yah Jim

I know what you mean about a regular spot. As I'm constrained to whether the neighbours are in so they bring there dog in, as it's kennel is right opposite my range & it goes berserk if I'm even just cocking the pistol

But yeah I do enjoy the challenge, sometimes to a point of frustration
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Shot mine last night in the clubs indoor range ( no heating to speak of ) with the temp sitting below freezing and snow pouring down outside

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

Brass Monkeys

Did mine this morning . Beautiful still morning.

Boy was it cold though

Cheers . Alan

It's even cold here in New Orleans! Weatherman is talking about record lows for this time of year: 40 degrees Fahrenheit ( = 8 degrees Centigrade).

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

8 degrees?

8 degrees?

.....positively balmy James old chap. The mercury has been stuck below minus three here all day. So what? you might say, but it's still only November.

I shot my SSP this afternoon, boy was it cold. I had to run my trigger finger under the hot tap to warm it up before I dare go to the lavatory.

Scores are in for the two categories I am contesting this season.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Shot my Spring & SSP categories this afternoon, same as Jef about -3, Jim 8 degrees that is short & T-shirt weather

Didn't do too good at all, my excuse was I was sore & uncomfortable & the first time I shot anything in other a month

So wooden spoons for me I reckon

Thanks Mike for running the comp

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Frontbrake View Post
    Did mine this morning . Beautiful still morning.

Boy was it cold though

Cheers . Alan
    Do you know where the expression about brass monkeys came from?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Do you know where the expression about brass monkeys came from?

Jim
    pawnbrokers wasn't it Jim?

Was -8 in my area this morning

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    pawnbrokers wasn't it Jim?

Was -8 in my area this morning
    I always thought it was a nautical phrase, about the stacks of cannon balls on ships???
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    I always thought it was a nautical phrase, about the stacks of cannon balls on ships???
    Yep! Or so the story goes...

...in the good old days of sailing ships, the term "monkey" referred to every small thing or person aboard. (The role of powder monkey was often performed by a young boy, just learning the ropes: which is ANOTHER nautical term).

Anyway...one of the things aboard the vessel was a "monkey" along the rails. It was constructed of brass or bronze, and held the cannon balls, which were made of iron.

In extreme cold, brass or bronze contracts faster and to a greater extent than iron: therefore it would be a common sight to find the iron balls having fallen off the brass monkey, and laying on the ship's deck.

Jim

It's uncommon cold alright, that's for sure. I feel for you guys who had to shoot the comp this weekend outdoors, and I'm glad I shot mine last Saturday before temperatures went seriously south.

All emails replied to, thanks gents.

Any more for any more? I'm hoping for an early night...

Shot my Spring & SSP categories this afternoon, same as Jef about -3, Jim 8 degrees that is short & T-shirt weather
    Ah, that's where I was going wrong, no wonder I was shivering, I'll try long trousers and a jumper next time.

Didn't do too good at all, my excuse was I was sore & uncomfortable & the first time I shot anything in other a month
    Helen been knocking you about again Paddy?, you really must do as you're told.
    Seriously though, really glad to hear you are up and about, even if you are a bit stiff and sore

Thanks Mike for running the comp

Regards
    Paddy.
    Seconded
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it