The problem with cheap pellets is quality control. In Finale Match 99.9% of pellets will be perfectly formed and sized. In Match Kulgeln this will fall to, say, 99%. (Finale pellets are manufactured on the same equipment, but just have an extra QC before packaging; the percentages quoted are only guesses, not accurate data).

Cheaper pellets may only have 95% of the pellets being perfect. This could mean that a test batch of 50 pellets will only have a couple of 'flyers' and that can easily be ignored, and therfore a test batch may show eLcRappo pellets to perform as well as the gold platted ones. However, when you are trying to improve your shooting, the most important thing is the mental approach, and having a lingering doubt about the quality of the pellet is something that you don't need rattling around inside your head. If you swap to a 'good' pellet only for competition you will also add a mental doubt that the pellets don't work as well as what you are used to using in the gun.

So, as I said right at the beginning, think what the piece of mind good pellets actaully costs you - say an extra £2 or £3 per tin of 500. Then how much you will actually shoot over a year and multiply up the cost. Then make your decisions. For me I buy R10s at £5.50 a tin and I know these will consistently outperform me. Finale Match at £9 a tin are an added expense that will bring me no reward.

McT