Thread: Better late than never!

Better late than never!

Hi im connor,
    I returned to air guns after a 15 year(ish) gap since i last held one. In my teens a couple of friends (or friends older brothers) had some old webley and BSA springers which which we used to plink away in their back gardens.
    I always was a pretty good shot although not by todays competitive PCP standard!
    Anyhow I recently got hold of an old Diana Original '45 MOD (.22) and bought a Nikko-Stirling 3-9X40 scope and joined the Bisley Field Target Organisation (BFTO) I wanted to try hunting but thought i needed to get my eye in and i also liked the sound of the target competitions.
    More or less as soon as i started I realised that although my old Diana was a fine rifle and in pretty good condition for its age it really wasnt suited well to the target discipline and decided i needed to buy a PCP...
    What a minefield! PCP's can get just about as expensive as you want them to be all have pro's and con's and advice from those in the know contradicts each other so much it literally left me cross-eyed.
    I ended up settling on an Air Arms S400 It seemed to carry a really good reputation of quality, reliability and above all accuracy. Also many of the club members had at one point owned one and were really friendly and happy to help! so if i needed advice i could ask many of them and would get some good pointers.
    Since then i have also bought a 12ltr air cylinder and a few other bits and bobs and have just been getting used to the new gun.
    Im really having fun and i have barely scratched the surface and look forward to getting more involved in future.

Connor.
    Bisley Field Target Organisation
    Air Arms S400
    Diana Mod 45 Original

Welcome. must say u cant go wrong with a s400 wish i still had mine
    DAYSTATE MK4 IS ST WITH sidewinder 30 4.5x14-42
    AIR ARMS S200 with hawke sr6
    BERETTA 686 SPECIAL SPORTING

Thanks! Im really enjoying plinking and im thinking about entering in some of the open class competitions at the club but i have been side tracked into wanting to try hunting as well now but im stuck with the almost impossible chore of finding a permission locally.
    Im going to try al the golf courses in the area as im in surrey and theres no shortage of them! I also used to work as a green keeper an know that the rabbits are a curse some years.
    What we do lack around here are crop growing farms, they all seem to be dairy/cattle pastures or Equine paddocks which dont seem to offer the same opportunity for a hunter of vermin as they dont really trouble the cows.... Maybe i should try and learn to hunt rats, im sure cattle/horse grains must attract them?
    Im joining the BASC so i can offer full liability insurance as well as a nifty ID to give more reassurance that im not some dodgy guy. Other than that im not really sure what else to do as i dont really know anyone that hunts?
    Bisley Field Target Organisation
    Air Arms S400
    Diana Mod 45 Original

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    Good Morning and Welcome to the BBS.

It’s a friendly place with a slippery slope so welcome & enjoy the stay …………..

hi and welcome