Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic target rifle preferences

Classic target rifle preferences

Our club now enjoys a weekly gathering of classic 10m target shooting with our FWBs, Anshutz and Walther springers (with one exception being an '85 FWB single stroke pnuematic.)

Most prevalent are now the fantastic FWB 300 in its many guises (guess which model I have got) with one or two interlopers in the way of Walther"Spezial" and Originals starting to appear.

Quite why anybody would want to shoot anything but a 300 is beyond me, but I would be keen to here your own views on which gun you consider challenges the undoubted supremacy of the FWB.

Thanks

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

HW55.
    It doesn't give you black eyes (unless Ive been about with the ink pad again. )
    No sliding sledge or wobbling widget cogs. True, it does recoil slightly but according to the bumf this is after the pellet has left the bore. Simple to strip and maintain and with the Rekord trigger. Say no more.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

10m springer alternatives

The HW55 is excellent and I also have a Walther LG55 break barrel which can cut a 10mm hole at 10m, no problem. The FWB300 (Junior) will always be my gun of choice, however for comps.

Mike95

Walther LGR

Put into the time frame in which both were top contenders, say 35 years ago, and assuming one is capable of getting out what has been build into these match rifles (I can not) then the Walther LGR would be the design that can outshoot the FWB 300(S), as it in fact happened on every international level.

Whether the LGR is considered a classic or not (it is iconic for being the first available 'over the counter' Single Stroke Pneumatic and responsible for reducing the international official size of the target in the 70's) is subject to what defines a classic, and that seems to be a never-ending discussion.

Mike Meijer

Thanks for your input Mike. I have yet to see a Walther LGR but it does sound impressive with an action much like the FWB that one of my club-mate uses to usually outscore the rest of us using spring guns.

As for you Mr Jones, I presume that you have forgotten just how good the 300 trigger unit is. It is certainly a cut above even the the Rekord unit. If I had a rubber eye-piece on my diopeter sight, I reckon I would be going home looking like half a panda for my observations!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Classic 10m Springers

I won`t move from Originals; 65, 66, and 75. As long as DM80 continues to fettle them they`ll do for me. Also got a Diana 100 SSP but there is something about the feel of the Giss system that appeals to me. Similarly with pistols; I`ve got an FWB 80, but the Original 10M takes some beating.
    Laudator temporis acti

Giss fettling?

Hello Pagoda, am I right in understanding that you consider (regular) 'fettling' a necessity to shoot these Giss Diana's? If so, why is that? I have no longtime experience, but I agree these types could be just as competitive as LGR's in relation to FWB 300's as these guns react quite similar after release: hardly any reaction at all!

And Andy: great to see a widening interest in shooting these older rifles. As there is hardly a commercial interest (yet!) and a different attitude prevailing towards 'performance' , this could be just become a most enjoyable and popular section within the shooting world.
    For me there is a similarity with racing (classic) motorcycles: more technical variety, and despite some very serious racing still a relaxed atmosphere, where participating is more important than winning.

Mike Meijer

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post

As for you Mr Jones, I presume that you have forgotten just how good the 300 trigger unit is. It is certainly a cut above even the the Rekord unit. If I had a rubber eye-piece on my diopeter sight, I reckon I would be going home looking like half a panda for my observations!

Andy
    Maybe the FWB 300 trigger unit is on a par with the Rekord unit or even better but ease of stripping?
    As for the Giss system - when 'Mr DM80' goes into old age retirement, which cant be far off, we will all be up the creek without a paddle.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

target rifle

i love my diana/original mod 60 and it shoots excellent for a 40 year + gun and my mod 6m pistol is excellent .i collect original/diana's but would like a fwb 300s .atb mark

I had a Stunning Original Mod 75 Immaculate Condition overhauled by Fulltons in Bisley. It was a Left Handed Model, Supreme Accuracy

I put a Habich 4 x 35 Scope on it, tried it at Bisley no wind 55 Yard Zero almost pellet on Pellet. The Knock Down / Up Discs did not miss

Wish I had kept it

Sold on here to Colin Someone

Are you here Colin

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Maybe the FWB 300 trigger unit is on a par with the Rekord unit or even better

ATB
    Ian
    Eh? You're 'avin a larf Ian, of course. The 300 trigger makes even a carefully tuned Rekord seem rough as an extremely rough thing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Any of you 60's/70's weirdo's know anything about this Walther LGV i've picked up with two trigger's..

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Meijer View Post
    Hello Pagoda, am I right in understanding that you consider (regular) 'fettling' a necessity to shoot these Giss Diana's? If so, why is that? I have no longtime experience, but I agree these types could be just as competitive as LGR's in relation to FWB 300's as these guns react quite similar after release: hardly any reaction at all!

And Andy: great to see a widening interest in shooting these older rifles. As there is hardly a commercial interest (yet!) and a different attitude prevailing towards 'performance' , this could be just become a most enjoyable and popular section within the shooting world.
    For me there is a similarity with racing (classic) motorcycles: more technical variety, and despite some very serious racing still a relaxed atmosphere, where participating is more important than winning.

Mike Meijer
    No, not regular fettling, but anytime I buy one, or get one through a swop, then DM80 is the gunsmith to sort it if the seals, etc., are suspect.
    Laudator temporis acti

Lgv trigger

hwvixen I would imagine that you push the front trigger forward to cock it this then makes it a hair trigger.

Mr Dfor explained the stripping of the Giss system to me and it is do-able.
    Mine has sythetic seals fitted already and shoots well.
    Bought a 75 to keep an eye in as not shooting much this winter.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin