Thread: Cadet Major power?....

Cadet Major power?....

Following on from the thread about Meteor power.....what do you think a BSA Cadet Major should be producing?. I would have thought due to their size, that when they were leaving the factory and bedded in, 7-8 ft/pounds. Sound about right?

Cheers

Clive
    "This doll is extremely dangerous, it has voodoo qualities"

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

they come in around the high 7ftlbs,you can get a bit more with tinkering but its useualy to their detriment.they are much nicer to use at around 7 or a tad less especialy the .177.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Thanks for that. want to get the power right, 7ftIbs sounds good.

Hi Smithfire
    I have owned about ten cadet majors in the past and the best one i have ever owned was just doing 7ft lbs, i have found that most do between 5 to 6 ft lbs, i have had many people say they have one doing 8 to 9 ft lbs but i have yet to see one and to be proved wrong, the real fact is cadet majors do 5 to 6 ft lbs untill someone can show me one doing more.
    JJJJJJ

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Hi Smithfire
    I have owned about ten cadet majors in the past and the best one i have ever owned was just doing 7ft lbs, i have found that most do between 5 to 6 ft lbs, i have had many people say they have one doing 8 to 9 ft lbs but i have yet to see one and to be proved wrong, the real fact is cadet majors do 5 to 6 ft lbs untill someone can show me one doing more.
    JJJJJJ

I agree with the above.I have heard people say Cadet Majors are good for 7ftlbs or more but,I have two both resealed and re-sprung and they both put out 5.5ftlbs.In time that may rise a little but I suspect the upper limit for most would be about 6ftlbs.

Thanks guys

I sure wasn't trying to find an upper limit so I could tune it to within an inch of its life, rather find the sort of power that they feel comfortable to opperate at so I could one day respring/reseal mine.

Is there a meteor spring that fits well to achieve this power level?

Cheers

Clive

Hi Smithfire
    The meteor springs are to long and have to be cut down to fit, your better off buying a standard cadet major spring from T.W. Chambers.
    JJJJJJ

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    they come in around the high 7ftlbs,you can get a bit more with tinkering but its useualy to their detriment.they are much nicer to use at around 7 or a tad less especialy the .177.
    I thought they were only made in .177", Bob.

I'll go with 7 ft. lbs. Mine is doing circa 600 fps with Superdome, for 6.6 ft. lbs, (which is just 16fps shy of 7 ft. lbs.).

When the rifle was given to me, the pellet didn't even reach the muzzle. The mainspring was collapsed and in an 'S' shape, so I found an old spring that fitted the piston and cut it to length - no idea what it originally came out of.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

ooops yes silly me,been breathing in to much laquer from my mil/diana mk4 refurb;phew!!.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Here are a few test results from mine as bought second-hand a few months back, all 10 shot averages:

AA Field 595 fps (6.6 ft.lb) 15fps variation
    RWS Hobby 662 fps (6.8 ft.lb) 34fps variation
    RWS Hobby - lubed 682 fps (7.2 ft.lb) 24fps variation
    RWS R10 Pistol -7gn 655 fps (6.6 ft.lb) 13fps variation
    Ely Wasp 607 fps (6.6 ft.lb) 25fps variation
    Milbro Caledonian 636 fps (6.9 ft.lb) 36fps variation
    RWS Superdome - lubed 632fps (7.3 ft.lb) 16fps variation

In conclusion, and based on my example and experience, Hobbies are the best all round for muzzle velocity and general plinking. Superdomes have a marginal edge in ME (I didn't try them unlubed but would guess they still have a small advantage if the Hobby lubed:unlubed ratio is similar.) The Superdomes are likely to be more accurate over longer ranges compared with the flat-head Hobby.

I hope this is of some help,

Tom