Thread: Webley Ranger help

Angry Webley Ranger help

Hi guys, i bought this gun for my grandaughter to use, and it was eratic to say the least.
    I have replaced the breech seal and that helped a little.
    I have since stripped it down and fitted a new piston washer (leather) and now it is completely gutless.
    What have i done wrong ?

It can take a good number of shots before the piston washer conforms to the cylinder. Most people advise not changing a leather washer unless it is actually damaged.

Was it too tight when you installed it - if so it exerts too much drag. Ideally it should be loose enough to allow the piston to just fall under its own weight when the cylinder is held vertically downwards.

Also - did you lube the washer? They usually need a good soak in e.g. neatsfoot oil.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley ranger

I have found that with the Webley Ranger/Jaguar/Junior/Diana 22/23/ G76 etc that the hole in the breech seal can close up until it beds in. Check this and if it has closed up, poke it with a small screwdriver etc. you may have to do this a few times until the gun beds in. I usually make my own washers on these and it is a common problem. ggggr
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thanks for your help guys, checked everything you both said and all was well.
    Except i had not soaked the piston washer in oil prior to reassembley.
    I soaked it overnight and everything is much much better.
    I will now put a good few pelletts through it and then zero it at the weekend.

Thanks again guys.

Dave