Thread: Webley Xocet model I.D. please :)

Webley Xocet model I.D. please :)

Hi folks

Came across this Xocet carbine recently. It seems quite a sleeper!

Looks almost as-new. Apparently supplied with the pro-system silencer, Webley 3-9X40 scope and OPM, still a few left in the 'free tin of pellets' (branded Webley Hustler Harrier).

I'm not familiar with this model... the dark (almost red) matt finished stock I have definately not seen before.

Pages of good pics in the link below:
    http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/u...ebley%20Xocet/

I wonder if somebody wearing a bigger anorak than I could please help with some info (brum or turkish, actual model I.D.) and perhaps a valuation? Before I start a 'for sale' thread.

ATB
    Phil

as far as i know, from what i have read as i am currently buying a webley rifle second hand is, that if it is stamped 'webley & scott, birmingham, england' on the side of the breach then its a brummy model, whereas if it has just 'webley' or 'webley international' then its a turkish model.

so as far as i know yours is a brummy rifle, and it is quite a looker!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi. These were the no frills version of the Stingray, which in turn was the up-date of the Vulcan MkIII. The Xocet came new with either a Theoben style (in looks) mod fitted to a carbine barrel, and no open sights (this version was called the Xocet XS or KS), or with open sights in either rifle or a carbine length.

They were made from 2000 through to 2005/6, when the real Webley turned turtle. Thereafter, Webley take-two (AGS) had some made in Turkey to (arguably) the same spec etc. The original Brum-built Xocets are nice, but imo, at the time they were available, it was well worth paying the extra £40 to get the Stingray (superior stock, and with a manual safety).

The Xocet was never sold with a pro-system mod as standard, as yours wears however, so yours must have been an open sight version, with said mod added as an after-market bolt on. Hope this helps . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcb View Post

I wonder if somebody wearing a bigger anorak than I could please help with some info (brum or turkish, actual model I.D.) and perhaps a valuation? Before I start a 'for sale' thread.

ATB
    Phil
    Ha ha. Just seen this Phil. Based on my post as above, do I qualify for King Anorak ??? . Ha ha. As to value, as vgc Brum-built Stingrays achieve £175 plus post/collection (just sold one so know this to be so) your Xocet as pictured should be worth maybe £135 plus post ??? Off now to polish me toggles. Terrah.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Anorak ??? ...
    Gareth, I bow to the sheer size of yours!!!

Stardude & Gareth - Thanks very much. I'm happy that its a Brummie

ATB
    Phil

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Sorry to hijack but I assume that the Xocet was a level up from the Excel?

Can anyone tell me what Webley's range was around the time of the Excel and Xocet? The Excel was my very first rifle as a boy and I'd be really interested to hear a bit more about Webley at the time.

I must have been given the rifle around 1994 if that helps :0
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    Sorry to hijack but I assume that the Xocet was a level up from the Excel?

Can anyone tell me what Webley's range was around the time of the Excel and Xocet? The Excel was my very first rifle as a boy and I'd be really interested to hear a bit more about Webley at the time.

I must have been given the rifle around 1994 if that helps :0
    The excel was replaced by the Exocet iirc .

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    The excel was replaced by the Exocet iirc .
    Yep, both were the no frills bargain basement versions of better things (the Vulcan MkIII and then the Stingray), while the top of the Webley tree went Omega, on to the Tomahawk, which then gave way to the Longbow. The Tomahawk was phased out after only two years, as being long stroked, it did not make a practical sub 12ft.lb rifle ): G.

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Thank you fellas
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

I bought an Xocet .22 last week and was pleasantly surprised - it was very consistent over the chrono unfettled, clocked 11.6 ft/lb with AA Diablo and looked and handled better than I had expected.

Fired with a marked twang though - sounded like an old bed spring! Not sure if these models came with spring guides? If not mine certainly needs one.

The stock on mine is not as dark as your pics. Webleys of this period seem to be very variable with their stocks in grain and stain...? I have an Omega that is very dark and doesn't look to be a diy job.

For all that the Stingray is one of the most pointable little carbines I have ever fired - a real cracker. Agree that the Xocet is not in its class.

ATB
    Steve
    "When I die I want to die peacefully in my bed, not screaming like the passengers of the bus my grandad was driving" - Emo Phillips