Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pistol am I looking for?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Domed pellets in a DU10 Nick. Shirley you are taking a risk?
    Dunno,
    the instruction manual (yes, it came with a photocopy of the manual in English with Edgar Brothers' stamp on it ) indicates that there was a brand of ball ammunition that was acceptable & so I though "What The Heck" and I'm trying it with everything in the pellet box to see what suits it.
    If you load it with Gamo BBs it makes a good shotgun
    And don't call me Shirley - that's my auntie's name!
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I think you can use Gamo lead ball but doubt it will be accurate.
    If you use domed pellets you are going to get your head stuck up your
    Sorry I see you have shotgunned Gamos. Must learn to read before I post!

Steyr LP5...brilliant and made me smile sooooo much..only 1 serious problem...no 10 or 20 shot mags...some of the Redhills lads have called my LP5 a machine gun....i so want bigger magazines

Crosman 600, will tick all your box's if you get one properly fettled ( Lawrie A ) and then do a bit of custom work on it like this:http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6...0/MVC00001.jpg

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I would decide first what I intended to do with it. Precision bullseye competition? Fast action shooting? Distance/knockdown work?

For first category: I would have no idea what to recommend, since this type of shooting holds no interest for me.

For second category: any of the Umarex revolver or autopistols (operationally, they're all revolvers anyway!): just pick one whose style appeals to you. Or, better: go to a range and shoot as many as you can, and buy whatever one you shoot the best.

For third category: Crosman EB, if you don't mind the expense / prefer the convenience of CO2. Or HW 45, if you prefer a springer. There's also a Crosman C02 single shot: offhand I can't think of its numbers.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Crosman 600, will tick all your box's if you get one properly fettled ( Lawrie A ) and then do a bit of custom work on it like this:http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6...0/MVC00001.jpg
    Temptress!

Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

No...

...doubt Steyrs are the business but the Zastava/Drulov etc family are about a third of the price and just as fun, almost as accurate too

In a perfect world I'd have both
    Pardon?

Thanks all again for all of the replies - I'll need to reply to some of them in turn. Also sorry for the delay in replying - I work for a US law firm which automatically restricts any access to any sites involving firearms - I don't think they understand what airguns are to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I have to say, having done some reading up on the Crosman 600 since, that really does look like a fantastic option. Only difficulty now is actually getting one

May contact Lawrie A directly and see if he can source one, seeing as (assuming he's willing) I'd get him to refurb and mod it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Only that it sounded like you'd ruled out CO2

The DU-10 is great - I'm pellet testing at the moment and I've found a pack of domed with which it will reliably feed 6
    I just need to crawl under the bench & find the lid to see what they are & run tests with a few more to see if any of my current stock will give the same performance,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Nope - not at all. Main reason I'd ruled it out was that all of the CO2 guns I user were severely lacking in power - I'd assumed that semi-auto + CO2 = no real power, and to be fair, much of the info on the web supports this view.

In terms of raw power, where does the DU-10 feature, and where is the best place to try to pick one up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    A Crosman 38 T or C might tick your boxes. I have both and they are great. I think they would scratch your brocock itch. They are only rapid fire until you reload, mind, but you soon get the knack.

http://www.cinedux.com/airgun-articles-c.php

Surprised no-one has mentioned a crosman 600 yet.

For pure plinking some of the new BB pistols look pretty good, and as they are over 1 ft lb you don't have to be a re-enactor. I got the dan wesson revolver on a whim and its fun. Its a bit like eating a pot noodle , you know its wrong, but you still want it. I'm a bit opposed to them all myself, because I fear its only a matter of time before someone says they are exploiting a loophole in the VCRA and we get yet another ban, making life difficult for all air pistols. But, anyway, they exist and you might consider them.
    Thanks for that Jerry - having checked out the 38 T and C, they don't seem to have anything like the same power as the Crosman 600, or have I misread something?

Crosman 600 looks to be perfect, and I especially love the way it can take a moderator and red dot!