Thread: Sig P226 Take Down Fiasco

Post Sig P226 Take Down Fiasco

One of the things I love about the 226 its is ability to be disassembled similarly to the real firearm. I figure this is mostly for just for taking the slide off for show because its cool.

So I did this earlier this evening (as I have before) and while looking at the underside of the slide noticed there was a BB stuck in the square gas port that connects to a similar port on the top of the mag. So I got some thin tools in there and tried to coax it out but it was no good. So I removed the spring/rail, the barrel and its sheath (all of which I have done before) and that just left the rear assembly. It takes two screws at the back to remove it but as I took it out stuff bounced everywhere and fell apart.

So I had a look (not knowing how anything worked) and couldn't see the BB in there but sits have two main parts a little part and a spring but couldn't figure out where everything went. After a while I searched on the floor and found another spring and the BB. This second spring I figured out went inside to keep two bits apart but the first spring that popped out when I initially took it apart had me stumped.

So I spent about 40 mins trying to understand the logic of the guns mechanisms and eventually worked out the spring is used to force back the plastic bit that scoops the BB off the mag and delivers the gas. But I couldn't understand what it pushed off until I realised it must be something inside the slide. Then I discovered a grove on the plastic component and lowe and behold the spring fitted right in. After that it was just a bit of fiddling and then screwing it back on and reasembling everything else and job done!

What really confused me was the troubled spring fit perfectly on a purposeful looking notch on the rear if another component that turned out to be totally pointless, and I still don't know how a BB got in there! Impressively it didn't damage anything though. Maybe I should do a full take down guide/video at some point?

Hi this happened to my Tanfoglio Witness 1911, the first thing I noticed is I was only getting about 10 shots out of a CO2 and I had been getting 4 mags worth 5 minutes earlier, so I decided to field strip it down and found the bb sitting just inside the blowback chamber. So after 10 minutes of fiddling and trying to get it out in various ways I faced the slide downwards pulled the feed/gas nozzle downwards aswell and gave it a shake and the bb fell right out. I think the bb got in their through the gas nozzle somehow because there is an extra piece in there to stop bbs going in there because these guns are converted from 6mm guns. This is my only logical answer as the bb is too big to get in the gas port which matches up to the magazine. My gun works fine now so no harm done and some experience gained haha. Hope I don't have the same problem with my Sig P226 as it is currently on order. Pleased to hear I'm not the only one to have had this problem.

Cheers TheWolfMan!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    One of the things I love about the 226 its is ability to be disassembled similarly to the real firearm. I figure this is mostly for just for taking the slide off for show because its cool.

So I did this earlier this evening (as I have before) and while looking at the underside of the slide noticed there was a BB stuck in the square gas port that connects to a similar port on the top of the mag. So I got some thin tools in there and tried to coax it out but it was no good. So I removed the spring/rail, the barrel and its sheath (all of which I have done before) and that just left the rear assembly. It takes two screws at the back to remove it but as I took it out stuff bounced everywhere and fell apart.

So I had a look (not knowing how anything worked) and couldn't see the BB in there but sits have two main parts a little part and a spring but couldn't figure out where everything went. After a while I searched on the floor and found another spring and the BB. This second spring I figured out went inside to keep two bits apart but the first spring that popped out when I initially took it apart had me stumped.

So I spent about 40 mins trying to understand the logic of the guns mechanisms and eventually worked out the spring is used to force back the plastic bit that scoops the BB off the mag and delivers the gas. But I couldn't understand what it pushed off until I realised it must be something inside the slide. Then I discovered a grove on the plastic component and lowe and behold the spring fitted right in. After that it was just a bit of fiddling and then screwing it back on and reasembling everything else and job done!

What really confused me was the troubled spring fit perfectly on a purposeful looking notch on the rear if another component that turned out to be totally pointless, and I still don't know how a BB got in there! Impressively it didn't damage anything though. Maybe I should do a full take down guide/video at some point?
    I had the same problem with my Tanfoglio Witness 1911, I first noticed it when I started getting only about 10 shots per CO2 capsule and I had been getting 4 full mags worth on the CO2 before it. So I field stripped the gun and found the BB sitting in the blowback chamber. After 10 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to get it out, I pointed the slide downwards and pulled the gas/feed nozzle downwards too, gave it a shake and the BB fell right out. The only way I think it could have got in their is through the gas nozzle, as the gas port which connects to the mag is too small to fit a BB in. The gas nozzle already has a extra piece inside it to stop BB's getting in their as these are modified 6mm BB firing guns and 6mm BB's are too big to get 'sucked into' the gas nozzle. I hope I dont have this problem with my Sig P226 because I have one on order at the moment.

Cheers TheWolfMan!
    Last edited by TheWolfMan; 05-01-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Posted Twice, Sorry but its all there now haha