Thread: Picies of my 'New' 1980 Tempest boxed with bits

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Picies of my 'New' 1980 Tempest boxed with bits

Bought this one on saturday. Tempest .22, 1980.
    Feels tighter than the Tempest I bought new in 2005. Appears to be a full set of bits of paper with her. There is a very sweet little voucher, collect four, send them off for a flying spur badge. Pistol looks as new other than slight fading to white writing.

The story with the pistol was that it was bought from the widow of the chap that had it from new. Kept in a drawer. She didnt like guns, hence little use.
    91 pellets out of the original tin I calculate. Few more will go through her this week. Outer card box Marked p739 issued n/a 17.7.80. I wonder what a p739 is? I presume this is a notation from the factory. There is a piece of wood in the target holder, sure they came with this from new?

Gonna have to sell my Hurricane to justify keeping this one though!

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/tempest1980/

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post

The story with the pistol was that it was bought from the widow of the chap that had it from new. Kept in a drawer. She didnt like guns, hence little use.

91 pellets out of the original tin I calculate. Few more will go through her this week.

... Top draw matey -- nice one, but keep the original pellets and tin with it, and use other pellets, won't you.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I will do Gareth, had thought about that one earlier. I shall not be shooting those pellets. Feels like a shame to be shooting it in many ways, but no fun to me if I don't and I shall be careful with her. Subjectively the build quality does feel rather better than the late one I had previously.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post

Feels like a shame to be shooting it in many ways, but no fun to me if I don't
    ... Yep, use your collectables, but treat them with care (as I am sure/know you do).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Cool

Hi

That's a smashing pistol- nice find

I have one that's boxed but it's not in the usual Webley box as yours is, mine is in a plain brown box that has been written on with a permenant marker..
    I've seen a few in similar boxes, does anyone know why they were put in these plain boxes??, it makes me feel like a poor relation, actually, this one is tight too just like it's not been used, if memory serves i bought this one from Scotland...

Pic 1

Pic 2

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi,

Nice find..looks great....

Regard's

Inproved

My one I bought new in 2005 came in exactly that box. I threw the box away Then I joined BBS in 2007 and sold aforesaid mint .177 Tempest for £85 on here!
    Joins the long list of toys I wish I had never sold

I think it was the later ones that came in the fairly plain box. Almost felt as though they had given up ..

The plain boxes were the last few years of production when the Webley pistols were considered old had and not worth spending anything on packaging... or something like that. The last mint guns changed hands for about £120. Your box set is worth a tad more and well worth keeping together looking smart/mint.

I have a Tempest in each calibre from the cardboard box era, so mint. Mine have some after market wood grips made by someone off this forum. Lovely guns to shoot; in fact my favorite air pistol. Often throw the pellet way off left?? so the sight have to be set as far off to get back on aim. Must be a spring thing. Once the sighs are sorted then accuracy is excellent. Trigger is much more like a military handgun too. Just love my two.

Enjoy it.

I think the piece of wood inside the target holder was there in case you were shooting darts?

Thanks Muskett, I had suspected they had perhaps skimped on the packaging in their twilight years. I ordered a walther cp88 at the same time (2005) - came in a smart plastic briefcase thing, whereas the Webley came in a cardboard box.Said it all really.

Slug gun - thats an interesting observation on the bit of wood, hadn't thought of that.

These Webley marked boxes came in two versions. One with a green logo and another with a red Webley Logo. They were available between 1979 and 1983, when the plain card box took over. Yours is a fine early set.

I recall seeing my first boxed Tempest around 1980 in a second hand shop in Willesden in London. Asking price was £21 and well beyond my pocket money at the time. I recall the shop owner demonstrating the pistol by dry firing it and it went off like a rocket. I had a Webley junior air pistol at the time and obtained a 4 page leaflet on Webley airguns, which featured an exploded diagram of the Tempest. I thought it very modern looking and dreamed of owning one in a box like yours. It took quite a few years before I finally found one.

Sorry, went off at a tangent!

John

Enjoy it mate

Looks great from a great time (80s)

atb

Hooker