Thread: rws match pellets

rws match pellets

I note that .177 cal 7.0 grain RWS match pellets are available in 2 diameters 4.49 & 4.50 with two further diameters available on special order. Out of curiosity please can anyone tell me the effect this variation in diameter might have in performance (it wouldn't have any effect on my shooting but it would be nice to know!).

You may find it effects the velocity slightly or the ease with which they can be loaded into the barrel.

I've used both sizes in various pistols and at 10m I cannot see any difference in the groups. Maybe if the pistol was clamped down to a vice. But as I have read somewhere before, my vice does not shoot in any competitions.

HTH

Mark

when shooting my lp5 i have noticed that anything smaller than a 4.50 will be a loose fit in the magazine and will fall out if not paying attention when loading the mag!!
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

edbear2 Guest
    You may find that this seemingly tiny difference may suit certain guns. It is always a good idea to try various types / die sizes of pellets to see what works best. Unfortunately, in match style pellets, it can get expensive, as they don't seem to do the sample packs of pellets as they do for sporting guns.

If you are a member of a club, other people will normally give you a few different pellets to try, or I have seen people post on here "I have a xxxxx rifle/pistol, what type / size of pellet do people recommend"

Quote Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
    when shooting my lp5 i have noticed that anything smaller than a 4.50 will be a loose fit in the magazine and will fall out if not paying attention when loading the mag!!
    True also with the LP50 (same mag?)- I use r10 4.49s and they will fallout if you are not careful. Interestingly H&N 4.49s are a tight fit....

McT

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I was using JSB match 4.49's in my Steyr's because that was what they were tested with. I'd been suffering with unexplained shots but thought it was me and it was my LP50e magazine that allerted me to a problem, most were loose enough to cause the problem described of pellets falling out but some were tight.
    When I inspected them with my ordinary glasses and a magnifying glass, and scales, I discovered that the tins contained mixed sizes and weights! I had bought a sleeve (10 tins) and was well through it, I had noticed the tightness phenomena before but had not checked, mainly because I can't see close up with my shooting glasses and had just put it down to a lead build up in the magazine (Doh!!).
    Cursing JSB's quality control I carefully checked all the pellets in a tin and separated them into 4.49 light and 4.50 heavy and bench tested them. Both produced very tight groups but the point of impact was significantly different.

Lesson, JSB quality control is very suspect, and differing pellets shot as a group may cause problems, I now use R10.

Best regards
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I was using JSB match 4.49's in my Steyr's because that was what they were tested with. I'd been suffering with unexplained shots but thought it was me and it was my LP50e magazine that allerted me to a problem, most were loose enough to cause the problem described of pellets falling out but some were tight.
    When I inspected them with my ordinary glasses and a magnifying glass, and scales, I discovered that the tins contained mixed sizes and weights! I had bought a sleeve (10 tins) and was well through it, I had noticed the tightness phenomena before but had not checked, mainly because I can't see close up with my shooting glasses and had just put it down to a lead build up in the magazine (Doh!!).
    Cursing JSB's quality control I carefully checked all the pellets in a tin and separated them into 4.49 light and 4.50 heavy and bench tested them. Both produced very tight groups but the point of impact was significantly different.

Lesson, JSB quality control is very suspect, and differing pellets shot as a group may cause problems, I now use R10.

Best regards
    Robin
    interesting point. i too use jsb's .
    my last batch were 4.50 (stated on tin) and were of the loose fit variety mentioned in my previous post.
    a new batch of 4.50 jsb's bought recently are a good fit in the magazine.
    so there does seem to be some tolerance issues with them.
    not what you need to find when you have just bought a sleeve of 5000!!!
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Interesting to read folks thoughts regarding the pellet sizes, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I won't have trouble with the mag issues as I have FWB 103.

Regards to all

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    JonyB
    I could not understand how they had got differing sizes and weights in one tin, so why check? If it had not been for the magazine fit I would not have spotted it.
    The difference from 4.49 and 4.50 is less than half a thou so it was a sod checking them with a mic and with soft lead, the differing weights looked visably different, with more lead visable looking from the tail, I had'nt seen that with shooting glasses. It took me a long time checking and separating the different spec pellets in one tin.
    I'ts interesting that it was not just a fluke and you have had the same problem, sleeve or not, its now a matter of confidence so I now use RWS R10.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Get a small selection of pellets with stated nominal sizes and check them with a mike or vernier. I think you'll get a mild surprise and in future may take less notice of what is marked on the tin.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.