Thread: Original 45 restoration

Original 45 restoration

Can any resident experts please assist?

I'm currently restoring an Original 45 in .20 calibre. The rifle came with a non standard rear securing bolt (the one at the rear of the action by the trigger) so I ordered a replacement OEM part from Chambers. And here is the problem.

The factory part from Chambers is a steel pin and two bushings. Non are threaded so I am assuming they are a push fit? Finger pressure wont do it so do I use a clamp or put it in a padded vice?

Thanks in advance.

I have to admit that this fitting puzzled me the first time I saw it. The rifle had clearly been stripped a few times before and the one fastening looked as if it had a worn hex key recess. I spent ages trying to undo the 'hex head bolt' with (obviously) no success. So I gave it a gentle tap to try and locate the key a bit better ... hey ho, the central pin came out ... it came out with the opposite cup attached. Daft I know, no harm done except some embarrassment ... I felt a right twit but at least I solved it ...

Cheers, Phil

Many thanks Gents. I'll see if one of those ratchet hand clamps does the trick.

Or...

...try a G-Clamp?

Glad to see the old girl is getting some TLC
    Pardon?

Smile

Hi Loach

It sounds like it's a type 01 as i had a Mod50 type01 with the smae setup, two plastic bushes that fitted onto the outside of the stock and the pin that is driven home..

I recall fitting a new spring in it, got it all back together then found i had a hairgrip shaped piece of spring steel, it was for the safety, had to strip it down again to fit it

Good luck with the resto and i hope to see some before/after pix

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi Again loach

If it has the large square trigger guard and the equally large, pressed steel trigger then it's definitely a type 01...

As here

It's strange though that this rifle doesn't say 'Typ01' on it as my (ex) mod50 did....

John

EDIT- I just remembered that my current mod50 has the large square trigger guard and big pressed steel trigger blade but it doesn't have the pin (it's the three ball sear type)
    Last edited by johnbaz; 29-11-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Didnt ALL Original 45s have the cross pin system? My very early ones did.
    I think it was just the TO1 version of the Original model 50 that had cross pins.
    Just a gimmick IMO.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Didnt ALL Original 45s have the cross pin system? My very early ones did.
    I think it was just the TO1 version of the Original model 50 that had cross pins.
    Just a gimmick IMO.

ATB
    Ian

Hello Ian

I did a google search of images and found this one that didn't have the pin, it was cationed as a Diana mod45 and it had a rounded trigger guard and a 45 stock but no crosspin...

They seem to put them together from whatever's to hand as there seems to be so many variations

Cheers, John

Edit!!!!- looking at the pic in the link i posted, this looks like a very late model so they probably changed the trigger type..

Many thanks chaps for taking the time out to reply to my question. As always it's been very helpful.