Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
Many things have been tried over the years. Including solid bullet shaped projectiles. Due to their weight they need to be driven hard, in .22 they will start to approach the weight of a 22lr bullet (40gn) and so you need to be thinking of high ME's, 60fpe perhaps more.

(Eley wasp Magnum/30gn, JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy /25gn,Ox Nato, amongst others- see link at end of post).

At these ME's it makes sense to use a 22LR unless it's just for curiosity.

Daystate produced some solids for use in their 80fpe AirRanger IIRC.

AT more normal ME's (say less than 40fpe), the heavier pellets still have enough structural intergrity not to deform on firing. The diablo (shuttlecock) shape is a good compromise in terms of retained energy, accuracy and trajectory when fired subsonically.

Hence most high power shooters around the world not restrained by our regs tend to find that good accuracy can be had up to 950fps. Beyond that and your getting into transonic speeds and compressibility effects.

Bullets are "bullet" shaped because they need to go supersonic and remain stable. That's a whole different area of ballistics to airgun projectiles, hence the different shapes.

Have a look at Photosbykev's pellet database. Includes pictures and data, might give you some ideas.
i have found that 950fps is a good speed for me also. going faster seems to be a waste of time generally for me with my setup.