Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pellet making

Storrington (except when in Spain for the winter)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mof View Post
    I did a test today and was surprised at how inaccurate they were, at 25 yds the 5 shot group fitted into a 2 and quarter inch circle with 3 close together at one inch spread and two "flyers making the group 2 and a quarter inch.

A 5 shot group shot immediately after, with Bisley Magnums was a ragged one hole group covering 3/8 of a inch, so that is why you might as well buy heavy pellets off the shelf. The air rifle was a s-200. The Lem pellets hit very hard so would be devastating on rats at closer range.
    That corresponds with my remembered experience. When in Spain my preferred long range pellets are Gamo TS18 in .22. These are 18gn diabolo with a longer skirt. These have now been replaced by TS20, but I haven't tried them yet. Gamo used to make .22 lead BB and I still have the remains of a tin but they are not listed in the more recent catalogues. I have thought of moulding lead ball ammo in .22 and .25 for use in airguns. I have had success in moulding lead balls down to .357 and don't see why smaller sizes should not be possible. My ball moulds are made by Jeff Tanner who has a web site and he makes to order at very reasonable cost.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Here is a interesting website for anybody that got plenty of spare time.

http://airgunpelletmaker.weebly.com/

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by robby View Post

Thanks for that link it is very interesting. Casting lead blanks in a multiple mould and then swaging them looks like the way to go for the home pellet maker. It may also be the answer for me since I shall need lead ammo for a 9mm airgun project that I have in mind. 9mm lead airgun ammo seems to be virtually unobtainable either in UK or Spain.

Tony

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Glad of help, they are very helpful to send a few samples for me to try out together with my order.

i have not cast any pellets yet but saving it for a boring rainy day.

not really care about accuracy as long as its strike the target upon impact.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Many things have been tried over the years. Including solid bullet shaped projectiles. Due to their weight they need to be driven hard, in .22 they will start to approach the weight of a 22lr bullet (40gn) and so you need to be thinking of high ME's, 60fpe perhaps more.

(Eley wasp Magnum/30gn, JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy /25gn,Ox Nato, amongst others- see link at end of post).

At these ME's it makes sense to use a 22LR unless it's just for curiosity.

Daystate produced some solids for use in their 80fpe AirRanger IIRC.

AT more normal ME's (say less than 40fpe), the heavier pellets still have enough structural intergrity not to deform on firing. The diablo (shuttlecock) shape is a good compromise in terms of retained energy, accuracy and trajectory when fired subsonically.

Hence most high power shooters around the world not restrained by our regs tend to find that good accuracy can be had up to 950fps. Beyond that and your getting into transonic speeds and compressibility effects.

Bullets are "bullet" shaped because they need to go supersonic and remain stable. That's a whole different area of ballistics to airgun projectiles, hence the different shapes.

Have a look at Photosbykev's pellet database. Includes pictures and data, might give you some ideas.
    i have found that 950fps is a good speed for me also. going faster seems to be a waste of time generally for me with my setup.

I'm on the look out for a mould for my retired uncle. Anyone know of any cheap ones, must be working condition.

thanks
    andy

Cool

It occurs to me that moulded LEM pellets could be improved by swaging to a new shape.
    Moulded .22 spitzers could be swaged down to .177 and .25 swaged down to .22.
    Any suggestions for a suitable shape swaging die?
    Tony

there is a .22 pellet mould on fleebay at the moment , looks like a long pair of tongs
    Last edited by Bonzo!; 31-10-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added where

tried these twice
    paid once
    free second time
    i achieved a 10" 5 shot group at 15m dont know where the 6th shot went (first lot)
    i achieved a 24" 3 shot group at 25m dont know where the other 3 whent (second lot)
    so first lot shot from daystate mk 3 .177
    second lot shot from HW101 .177
    save your money

Quote Originally Posted by srosefx View Post
    Hi all

I was thinking has anyone ever made thier own pellets?
    .22 pellet making with a custom mould would be interesting.
    would heavier grains work better in higher ftlb rifles -makes sense!

maybe even electroplate them in copper!!!

just a thought experiment i had.

i may plus it into a ballistics calc and see what comes up.

any experience with this?

simon
    Seen in air gun world mag a tour and explanation of pellet making and it is really hard to make a quality pellet. Save your time and money and just buy well known brands.
    Crack whizz slap WHAT A SHOT

Bullet Mould.

In the 70s/80s I had a "LEM" .22 bullet mould. I had some good results with it but it was time consuming and exacting work. There was a tiny power band seal around the top edge which had to be intact for obvious reasons. Once they had been cast and cooled the pellet was removed and you very carefully cut off the excess lead, and then with a fine file make it as round and accurate as possible. if I remember rightly, the most I ever made in one evening was about 10!!! I shot alot of pigeons and rabbits with them, but there were a few unexplained misses though. Oh and they were really heavy and hit with a good thwack. wish I still had it!

bbs

Has anyone tried,copper coated bbs most are made in .177 they shouldnt stuff up the barrel if lubricated, as a perfect sphere they should shoot stable.The only problem i can see is after putting them in the breach they might roll out, the barrel.I thought a small neobydinum magnet placed stategicly with a bit of blue tack would take care of that, or even some grease? cheaper than lead.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sharlotendo View Post
    Has anyone tried,copper coated bbs most are made in .177 they shouldnt stuff up the barrel if lubricated, as a perfect sphere they should shoot stable.The only problem i can see is after putting them in the breach they might roll out, the barrel.I thought a small neobydinum magnet placed stategicly with a bit of blue tack would take care of that, or even some grease? cheaper than lead.
    I would never consider using steel BBs in a quality barrel. However lead BBs are still available from Gamo here in Spain both in .177 and .22 and I have been looking at these again since I am playing with a design for semi auto and full auto PCPs and BBs would be the easiest for a magazine feed to a semi or full auto action. Full auto seems to be legal here in Spain and an 18ft/lb full auto .22 would be an awesome back garden plinker.

Tony

home swaged pellets

Whilst sorting through my junk in the attic I came across these home made pellets in .22 from a few years back. They weigh in at a very consistant 19.7 gns and measure .222 diameter. As I recall I made a female die by drilling a piece of steel on the lathe and fitting a male ram into the back. This all fitted into a Wamadet (remember him?) press. The filling was fluxless 1/8in solder wire.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...G/DSC_6337.jpg

I was going to show you a nice tight group shot at 50 yards, but the "pellets" wouldn't fit into either my AA410 or my HW80, even with a hammer.

Oh well! Back to the drawing board.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Spare time!!!

I've made something similar myself for swaging pellets but quickly got bored with it. 56 quid for the jobber (plus the smelting pot etc). Even at a tenner a pot for pellets that's at least 2500 good quality pellets. I don't think my sanity would survive making 2500 of those albeit very nice looking pellets!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi