Thread: Needing a Theoben H-E pump

Needing a Theoben H-E pump

I know this is a big ask, but the Fenman I've just bought is running at 8.4FPE And so needs a bit of a pump up.

One fella I know says he can prolly lay his hands on one, but he is a particularly un-reliable type (fingers crossed though).

Fed up
    Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 02-12-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: edit

I think there was one on here for sale recently http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...t=theoben+pump Not sure if it sold.

He pump

They dont go down very often unless someone has jacked it up to much and if that happens it burns out piston crown sorry to bearer ofbad news i have some 20 years old and still holding up

Quote Originally Posted by T-rap Shot View Post
    I think there was one on here for sale recently http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...t=theoben+pump Not sure if it sold.
    Might be still there after a year! Thanks, I've PMed him

Quote Originally Posted by paulw6969 View Post
    They dont go down very often unless someone has jacked it up to much and if that happens it burns out piston crown sorry to bearer ofbad news i have some 20 years old and still holding up
    Hrmmm... I've read that severe recoil is a main symptom of that kinda problem, and this gun has very mild felt recoil, so I hope not!

Good point though, so maybe I should think about Theoben for a service.

Thanks

probably just needs a pump up don't sent it to theoben yet! I used to do that, it costs a fortune, £25 postage each way with royal mail for a start! you can nearly buy a pump for that! There was a brocock pump on here the other day which is the same but then you need the hose. There must be someone local to you with one. If you come up to preston i'll sort it for you! I have messed EXTENSIVLEY with my .177 Fenman and they really are not so difficult to strip, infact they are very easy. Never had any leaks but have had to pump up my evo from new, never lost pressure since though. You'll have to do quite a bit of pumping to get upto pressure, 10 pumps just to pressurise the hose!

Thanks Max

I bought a used hose and put an AA adapter on it so I could use a stirrup pump, I've only used it the once, but it did the job, if you get really stuck pm me, new hoses aren't too expensive.

John

Methinks I'm sorted now folks

Found a local gun shop who have the hose and will give it some beans for me

Many thanks for the replies

Phil

Update:

A friendly local gunshop 10 miles from me (R&B Sporting, Ross on Wye) have kindly loaned me the Theoben hose overnight (I didn't realise it fits a standard 1/8"BSP male, so with a male to male connector it works with my stirup pump).

It is proving a bit tricky to get it right (IRO 11FPE) and although the chap said they usually need to be around 15bar for 12FPE, this Fenman needs around 80bar on the gauge before taking any air... Its hovering close to where I want it with the pump gauge reading around 100bar.

N.B. It is NOT advisable to use a divers bottle for this job, or you risk an expensive and dangerous explosion!!

One or two pumps takes it from an indicated 80bar to 100bar.

The use of a chronoscope is also required for this job. When it gets quite stiff to cock the rifle you are prolly over the limit! (You then let a bit out of the valve by pressing in the end, like you would a tyre).

The above info may (hopefully) help somebody in the same boat!

Thanks to R&B

Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 02-12-2010 at 10:53 PM.

I find that rather than press the valve it is better to get a small punch and LIGHTLY tap the valve to release the air. This is a more controlable method of reducing the power to where you want it ATB Max.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I find that rather than press the valve it is better to get a small punch and LIGHTLY tap the valve to release the air. This is a more controlable method of reducing the power to where you want it ATB Max.
    Thanks for another great tip Max

10 small puffs of air out = approx 30FPS reduction.

I've got it about right now, but a bit of a compromise, because Superdomes (14.4gr) go a full 1.5 FPE less than Premiers (14.3gr). (The rifle is .22 cal. btw).

I guess this is possibly due to the Superdomes being a tighter fit to 'thumb' in to the breech.

Felt recoil and cocking effort have certainly increased from the 8.4FPE it was running at.

I've now fitted a Dampa mount (from JSR ) and my trusty Leupold M8, plus I've adjusted the trigger, so next some accuracy testing (Amazing how much can get done with the BBS being off-line!).

I hope the Premiers are best, as they'll prolly be an inch less drop at 50 yards (from a 30 yard zero) than the S'domes.

Thanks again for the helpful replies, gang

ATB
    Phil