Thread: .177 Wasps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Ummmm......Has anyone looked at the photos?.....The plastic tub has a proper Eley label, with identical address to the early 90's tins.......

I got about 6 of these a couple of years ago from a military sale....The seller had a eggshell style packing case full of maybe 250 tins/tubs, and had got them along with a load of ammo boxes and other kit from a surplus source (he told me).

I had assumed that they may have been made by Eley for the cadet forces because of this, but to be honest, have never opened one....will do this tonight, and compare with some other very late Eley branded pellets I have in screw tins which on examination are pretty rough as well (not wasps....will explain later)

I would not have thought that Bisley would have used Eley packaging personally!
    I guess if they were fakes the label would be the easiest part to reproduce...
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Just to make sure everyone understands:

I am 100% confident that these pellets were sold in good faith by the seller.

I am just trying to work out exactly what they are and where they might have come from in terms of production.

Cheers all

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I guess if they were fakes the label would be the easiest part to reproduce...
    I don't think they are!......The label and cut out design is the same as Eley used on their primer tins (often over screen printed Wasp tins)....I think they are Eley branded rather than manufactured pellets...I can't see anyone risking taking on IMI by selling a fake copy....the plastic tubs I have had been sitting in a dusty packing case (wish I had looked more closely now!) sealed for quite a while before the guy bought them at a military disposal sale....I had previously assumed they were produced either after the red tins, or alongside just for large contracts.......I now think they were not even made by Eley / IMI........

I think that near the end of their selling of pellets, Eley used a third party supplier for more than one pellet...as I said earlier, I have several other Eley tins with a large thread similar to the BSA Pylarm .25 tin, and the quality of these is very poor. I will open a couple of the plastic tubs tonight, and dig out the other Eley tins too.

Matty......If yours came off "that auction" site, I contacted the seller to enquire where he got them from when they were first listed, he has quite a few more, and said they were old shop stock.....I am also sure he, as I was when I saw the plastic tubs for the first time, was genuinely sure they were Eley manufacture (as opposed to badged).

Last edited by edbear2; 29-11-2010 at 10:57 AM.

This photo shows the difference very clearly

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...risonWasps.jpg
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I will open a couple of the plastic tubs tonight, and dig out the other Eley tins too..
    What would really help, Eddie, would be c/u photos of the pellets side by side. If you set your TZ6 to macro, go 3x zoom, get in as close as it will focus and use a tripod and the timed shutter release, the result is pretty good with mine.

I did that with .22" Eley and non-Eley Wasps, and it really shows up the differences - they're effectively different pellets. The photo is on page 27 of the current (December) Airgun World.

Here are 5 pellets taken randomly from a plastic tub of these "Eley Wasps"

I simply tipped a few into my hand and these were the first 5 that I lined up.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...plastictub.jpg

The Original Eley Wasps that I have, all come in at a height of 5.5mm on the micrometer.

These vary from 4.9 - 5.1
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 29-11-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: additional information added

Look like some milbro kerrapp.

Either way don't lose sleep over to wasp or not to wasp - the originals themselves would not stand comparison to any of today's better pellets.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Don't look like any kind of Wasps i've seen...I suspect someone has re-labled them...naughty..!!

I wouldn't be surprised. It happens with Tasco, Bushnell, and Rolex! To name but a few.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Look like some milbro kerrapp.

Either way don't lose sleep over to wasp or not to wasp - the originals themselves would not stand comparison to any of today's better pellets.
    You tell that to my 1950s/1960s BSA collection

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    You tell that to my 1950s/1960s BSA collection
    Well your 1950s/1960s BSA collection would not stand comparison to any of today's better guns

(sorry you asked for it )
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I agree with you entirely Gambo,

4.5, 5.5 or 5.6 Original Eley Wasps were superb and would stand up to any modern pellet IMO. I wish they were still available in all sizes

Not everyone agrees though, so I guess it's personal prefernce:

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post

ATB
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 03-12-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling

I would agree to some extent.

Sure, the "Top End" pellets of today would wipe the floor with WASP's..but just think of the stacks of tat pellets available today that just cannot compare to the old ELEY WASP's.

If they were measured on a scale of 1 to 10, with today's very best pellets being a 10, and the worst being a 1.......then I would score the old WASP's about a 7 .......or maybe an 8.

wasps

As it was me who sold the wasps on here let me get some things clear.
    I bought 14 tubs of these pellets from my local gun shop last week, having read about the poor quality of the bisley made ones and with these tubs clearly having ELEY Birmingham on the labels i thought i could pass them on to others who might like them, £6.50 a tub posted i think is quite reasonable for 500 pellets
    I have several old Bsa` s cadets, majors etc and they shoot fine in them.
    The thread i posted on here clearly shows the tub in the photo and as far as i was concerned an accurate description, i resent the accusation that they may be fake. If you weren`t sure about them why buy them? I offered to refund anyone who was not happy with their purchase.
    Some people should get a life.