Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .177 Wasps

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Want to see some pics of my extensive Wasp pellet collection?
    Nerrrr

I said, Nerrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Nerrrr

I said, Nerrrrr
    LOL Ed

Everything in moderation... including moderation...

Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

edbear2 Guest
    Right, have taken some pics......The Wasps I opened were week 23, 2002 dated, with a lead hazard slip, so quite near the end of production?....

Wasp Tin (2002)

They have the distinctive 'circle ' on the head, and heavy skirt, and are really bright as they should be.

Next to the plastic tub 'Wasps', the difference is striking, note the thin wall of the left hand ones, and the many misshapen pellets.

"Genuine' pellets to left here.....the 2002 wasp tin I opened had had a knock in the post (it came with about 40 others with no padding, so some are marked.

Now.....as to my theory about the plastic tub contents not being IMI produced (I am betting L J Cammel....they just look like their stuff), here are the other Eley "badged" pellets I was wittering on about....They say made in Europe" on the tins, although they have the Brummie addy.

So....looking at the labels on the lids of the plastic tub and European tins together, ..I would say they are pretty close in period of manufacture due to the very marked similarity's.

What does all this mean...dunno really, unless an ex IMI employee comes along, but the plastic tub "Wasp' pellets IMHO, are nowt to do with IMI, and are around the same period as these other farmed out ones....maybe the real Wasp dies had run their course, and they looked at outsourcing the last run of production....shame they didn't go to RWS

Never mind.......enjoy this....a rare 'full house' set of all sizes of 1930's Wasps, complete with original flyer

Flyer reverse with similar period .22 tins.

Just my opinions of course.......may well be total twaddle

Thank you DI Edbear

Funny that your 2002 pellets and my 1994 pellets are quite different.

On my 1994 pellets the fluting goes right to the pellet's base, on your 2002 pellets there is an obvious skirt.

It's all soooooooo confusing...

Glad that your Plastic Tub pellets look the same as mine

Cheers for all your input guys on this convoluted topic
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Thanks All

I know about the new Bisley-made "Wasp" rather than "Eley Wasp" pellets and I certainly would not buy these Bisley made pellets

I'm trying to work out what I have purchased in these plastic tubs with an "Eley Wasp" sticker

The quality is truly s**t

Matty
    I bought one of those plastic tubs last year. I have only ever seen the one! Yes, they are rubbish, mostly bent and thin and too light. They say Eley on the label unlike the later ones in a tin, which are better. The original Eley Wasp which I still have some of are superb though. I wonder what the real story is with these plastic tub horrors?
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Oh well, seems like these pellets of mine are the cheap ones also

edbear2 Guest
    Thank you DI Edbear

Funny that your 2002 pellets and my 1994 pellets are quite different.

On my 1994 pellets the fluting goes right to the pellet's base, on your 2002 pellets there is an obvious skirt.

It's all soooooooo confusing...

Glad that your Plastic Tub pellets look the same as mine

Cheers for all your input guys on this convoluted topic
    I have Wasps from though out the production history in sealed tins, I will have a look at some 90's ones, as you are correct about those ones I photographed, They made the things for 70+ years, so I would imagine they changed the dies / design a bit as time went by......I will try and get a piccy of the various ages of pellet side by side to confirm.

53 year old wasp pellets

Very nice to find a tin with a date label inside.

Notice the label on the wrapped 5 tin stack ...
    made by KYNOCH !

-----------------------------
    Frank

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    very nice to find a tin with a date label inside.

notice the label on the wrapped 5 tin stack ...
    Made by kynoch !

-----------------------------
    frank
    me want!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d

I bought a tin of wasps from our local gunshop when I started shooting again about eight years ago, put them in my Vulcan and couldn't beleive the fliers, lousy fit damaged heads/skirts, they had twists in them chips out of them some were even just half a pellet!!

a week later my mate came down and brought with him a tin of 5.56 wasps (blue tin) made by Eley in the mid eighties, we did a back to back test, the old Wasps did a ragged one holer at 30yds the new bought tin made a two and a half inch group

Pleased I found this thread, I hadn't realised the manufacture had changed. I have an tin of Eley .22 Wasps which I bought many years ago and thought I may as well buy some more... because they seem to be well made. I'll steer clear! Also have a tub of Sussex Sabot pellets which I don't think are made now (?).

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/P1000986.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH00 View Post
    Pleased I found this thread, I hadn't realised the manufacture had changed. I have an tin of Eley .22 Wasps which I bought many years ago and thought I may as well buy some more... because they seem to be well made. I'll steer clear! Also have a tub of Sussex Sabot pellets which I don't think are made now (?).

For older 0.22's, try RWS Superdomes - best alternative, if not better than the original wasps.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH00 View Post

Nice pellets Chris

No, don't buy the new "Wasps" buy some H&N FTT instead

Cheers

Nice pellets Chris

No, don't buy the new "Wasps" buy some H&N FTT instead

Cheers
    H&N don't suit my old 0.22 barrels. Are you using them in true 0.22 barrels - or in 5.5 mm barrels?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.