Thread: Wanted; sight rail extender for 1813 SMatch

Wanted; sight rail extender for 1813 SMatch

Hi folks,

I'm hoping what I'm looking for exists... if anyone knows the "correct name" let me know and I might be able to google it with rather more success!

My problem is in getting the right amount of eye relief with my Anschutz 1813 supermatch. The sight mounting rail for the rear sight is quite short and at the moment I can't position the rear diopter sight far enough back to get a good sight picture. I have a pair of riser blocks that came with the rifle, but as they're very deep (12mm) using them means I can see the target but then get a crick in my neck.
    Is there a simple rail extender than can be added to the existant rail just to give it that extra bit of length without increasing the height unnecessarily?

Thanks!
    Anne

have a look on intershoot.com or edinkillie.co.uk

Is there a simple rail extender than can be added to the existant rail just to give it that extra bit of length without increasing the height unnecessarily?
    Yes low rise blocks do exist, here's an example, but I am intrigued about why you require them. Which position(s) do you need them for? Do you have a particular problem that means that you cannot get your head far enough forward on the butt? The reason I ask is to understand that you are dealing with the root cause of a problem and not just its symptom. Photos of you in position would help if you could link to Flickr or similar.

Rutty

Here you go Anne:

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog...h=44_20http://

Dom.

Cancel that, same as Rutty's link!

Diopter

Quote Originally Posted by batfink View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm hoping what I'm looking for exists... if anyone knows the "correct name" let me know and I might be able to google it with rather more success!

My problem is in getting the right amount of eye relief with my Anschutz 1813 supermatch. The sight mounting rail for the rear sight is quite short and at the moment I can't position the rear diopter sight far enough back to get a good sight picture. I have a pair of riser blocks that came with the rifle, but as they're very deep (12mm) using them means I can see the target but then get a crick in my neck.

Thanks!
    Anne
    hi
    There are Short diopters Bases and long Diopter Bases, what I mean is where it is fitted to the rail on the rifle, one has one clamp screw, tother is two clamp screws,which when fitted to a short mounting rail on the rifle,will bring the diopter 1in nearer your eye,Hope you understand what I mean
    John F.

Smile

Thanks folks! I'll look into those link in a moment...

In answer to Rutty's question... I've been happily using a club gun for 25m prone for the past 6-months; an Anschutz 54 Supertarget in thumbhole stock. I've now got my own 1813 Supertarget in a 1411 prone stock. Putting the two rifles side-by-side its immediately obvious that my 1813 with the MEC butt hook and its fixing plate (the 54 just has the steel shoe plate) is the best part of 3" longer in total behind the bolt. I suspect the 54 had already had the stock shortened, and compared to all the other club members guns mine does now seem inordinately long in the stock!

The 1813 fits me perfectly; putting the butt in the crook of my elbow the hand fits neatly onto the pistol for for trigger placement, but my head is now that much further back from the rear sight. -With the club gun I was almost on top of it, though it seemed to work quite well! My rifle came with Centra diopters with twin screw fittings to the rear sight, but the rail for the rear sight is quite short, so to get the sights to locate with both screws on the rail the sight is a good inch forward from where it would best be. -It looked fine, but having shot a comp at the weekend it quickly became evident that I had the equivalent of parralax error going on as the margin for error was massive.

I will go and look at those links now... ta guys!

Oh dear, it's a saw you need, not sight blocks:

I've now got my own 1813 Supertarget in a 1411 prone stock. Putting the two rifles side-by-side its immediately obvious that my 1813 with the MEC butt hook and its fixing plate (the 54 just has the steel shoe plate) is the best part of 3" longer in total behind the bolt.
    The 1411 had a very long butt, too long for most purposes.

The 1813 fits me perfectly; putting the butt in the crook of my elbow the hand fits neatly onto the pistol for for trigger placement,
    Sorry to say it, but the 1813 stock was probably too long as well. The crook of the arm test you describe is fine for determining the butt length for standing. The butt length for prone would normally be shorter than that.

So, what to do about it? The first thing must be to book a session with your club coach or instructor. They will look at your position as a whole, not just the area you have highlighted. I hesitate to second guess them without having seen anything, but I suspect that it might be worthwhile looking around for a 14/1807 stock to take your barrel and action. You might need to take the saw to that as well, but it could be a better option. If your club does not have a current instructor or coach or you do not know one, then feel free to PM me and I should be able to put you in touch with someone in the Cambs area.

Rgds
    Rutty

Hi Anne,

What club do you shoot with? I am a member of Gogs in Cambridge and we have 5 coaches you can choose from, prone, 3P or 10m air rifle.
    It may be worth your while coming to the range on a thursday or friday evening and let us have a peek at your position and set up. From what you have said so far it is sounding like a bit of stock surgery may be in order but before we break out the chainsaw we should take a peek.

Bing!

Smile

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all the helpful comments!
    Measures taken so far have been to reduce the stock length by 1". This has helped a bit, but its still not feeling 100% "right". Its comfortable enough to hold, but the rear sight still seems along way forward.
    I think my best option is to do as suggested and find a thumbhole stock to put the action in. I'm at the range on Weds with Shelford RC, and last night when we put my rifle next to the old club gun I was using (54sm) it was very noticeable just how many different proportions were in play; not just the length of the stock, but the distance to the trigger from the grip etc.
    So... if anyone has an old stock knocking about that might fit the bill please let me know!
    Anne