Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ## BSA Club underlever Circa 1939 ##

## BSA Club underlever Circa 1939 ##

BSA Club underlever .177 calibre Serial No. C2280.

I wonder if anybody could give me any information about this rifle and a rough valuation. The rifle itself is 43.5 inches long with a stock length of 13.75 inches. It has a power output of 9.4 ft/lbs. Apart from non-existent blueing, it is in good condition. As far as I can make out, the only thing that is missing is a screw to the peep sight (as you can see in the photos). Thanks in anticipation. Old Bull

Last edited by Old Bull; 30-11-2010 at 06:03 PM.

It's a 'Standard Club' 1936-39, and in that condition I would say £100 to £150 being conservative and a premium for the sight if it is fitted well.

Ormicron

You have quite an uncommon gun there. One of only 2530 guns made with the 'C' prefix during the period late 1935 to 1939 and the outbreak of WW2.You gun is a number 4 club, and the 'C' prefix guns replaced the 'CS' prefix guns which were manufactured during the period 1930-35.

The foresight looks like a replacement, and the elevation wheel on the rearsight is from a later cadet major or airsporter Mk1, however the No. 21 aperture sight let into the stock is a lovely addition, and was added for club shooting at targets and bell targets.

Model details would have been photoetched on the air cylinder, however all traces would have disappeared along with the original bluing. Maybe the gun might be a candidate for a polish and reblue as in the case of your gun, you would probably add to the value.in the condition it is in at the moment I would value it at around £120-£160 as it is an uncommon model.

All the best

Lakey

Unfortunately that looks quite badly rusted and someone has been over it with rust remover which has stripped the finish, the stock also looks like its been refinished a while ago and I'm not quite sure about the peep sight.

You'll probably get £80 for it?

Richard

My learned friends are convinced about the sight.... I'll still stick with my valuation thats a lot of pitting to be polished away

Rich

Std Club

Yes thats a std pattern BSA club. In excellent nick it could easily fetch £300 to £400 but it looks very badly pitted.
    As you lose the blue down the years tiny pitting takes place. It appears to have an almost even coating of pitting which will hammer down its price quite badly. £75 to £80 maybe.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bessa View Post
    Yes thats a std pattern BSA club. In excellent nick it could easily fetch £300 to £400 but it looks very badly pitted.
    As you lose the blue down the years tiny pitting takes place. It appears to have an almost even coating of pitting which will hammer down its price quite badly. £75 to £80 maybe.
    ......The stock and rear aperture sight alone are worth that

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    ......The stock and rear aperture sight alone are worth that
    You want to give me £80 for an old BSA stock?

I've got half a dozen that i might breaik for spares then

In the best Harry hill fashion.....

There's only one way to sort this out....FIGHT...

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    You want to give me £80 for an old BSA stock?

I've got half a dozen that i might break for spares then

"AND APERTURE SIGHT" .......being the difference

BSA woodwork in good order normally fetches between £30+ - £70+ depending, with the lowest price seemingly being for a 20's heat impressed type, then the later 'BSA' impressed type, with early pistol / straight hand types next, and Lincoln Jeffries ones at the top.....interesting trade / retailers plates and stamps, and clear markings all help, and if someone was to put for example, an early factory presentation stock (in-letted plate /plaque with details, selected walnut etc.) on to the bay..I could see it going over the £100 very easily

Stocks factory inletted, and fitted with factory supplied early (model 21-21b) apertures.....I would say £80 is very fair if in good order.......try and find a sight alone for less than that as they very, very rarely come on the market....I will put my hands up and say I personally have bought complete rough guns just to get them

value

I looked at quite a lot of CS models prior to buying mine and from my experiences your rifle is probably worth £150+ with that peep/diopter sight despite the non standard parts fitted

As Lakey says, the 'C' - Club model was quite rare and the peep sight alone would be difficult to source and perhaps pricey to buy

I fully restored mine as the photo etching had long gone.

There is little stamping on the metalwork so dressing and polishing out the surface pitting is achievable. It took me 9 - 10 hours to prepare mine for a reblue but the results were well worth it

John
    hold me back !!

Lets add it up

Stock = £60 approx

No 21 Aperture sight = £50 minimum

Stock bolt = £5-£8

rearsight = £15-20 maybe

Push button underlever = £10 minimum

Auxilliary cocking lever = £8 - £10 minimum

Cylinder and tap assembly = £20 - £25

Piston = £15 all day long

Spring = £5

Trigger block = £20 at least ( especially with rare 'C' prefix)

Trigger guard £10 at least

Well these prices are easily achievable on fleabay, so what is the total for the gun based on these prices ???

Over £200 on scrap value alone !!!!!!

Is that realistic or am I on some sort of pipe dream. I see that prices 'the bay' makes, so valuations on this gun of sub £100, are way out IMHO

Room for thought......

Lets see what others think ??

Lakey

Oh and I forgot to include......

Repro foresight = £5-£10

Underlever catch post = £3-£5

Pair of trigger guard screws = £5 minimum

Underlever pivot pin and aux cocking lever pivot screw = £2-£3

Original wooden stock bolt cover,spring steel oval washer and original screws = £20 + ( how many 100's of guns are missing this - and originals are Rocking Horse Poo!!)

See how easy I can mount up........

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Oh and I forgot to include......

Repro foresight = £5-£10

Underlever catch post = £3-£5

Pair of trigger guard screws = £5 minimum

Underlever pivot pin and aux cocking lever pivot screw = £2-£3

Original wooden stock bolt cover,spring steel oval washer and original screws = £20 + ( how many 100's of guns are missing this - and originals are Rocking Horse Poo!!)

See how easy I can mount up........
    Thats enough !

I've just stripped 4 of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Thats enough !

I've just stripped 4 of mine
    Binners...you absolute heathen.......