Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Scope

Rifle Scope

Hi all,

I'm curious, i'm after a decent target scope for my rifle.
    I'm looking into the 6-24x50 type of scope and would like advice and information on the good stuff.

I have used that size before and it was great, but the scope felt cheap and had problems zeroing in.

EDIT:
    I have had a gander and found some good scope reviews, but still want the original information.

I am looking convincingly at the BSA 8-32x44 due to it's excellent review by D Martin (http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454716)
    (And of course, the price tag)
    Last edited by slow09; 01-12-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Searched further

I'm quite sure that others will differ in their opinions, but I have found (if you really want a 6-24 x 50 and can put up with the weight), the rather dodgily-named "Besonder Optisch" is an incredible scope for the money - if you can find one second hand. Side wheel focus, 30mm body, fine mil-dot reticle and 1/8" turret adjustment. I have used two of these and their clarity at all ranges has been superb compared to other offerings costing a lot more (although I have not, I'm afraid, had the pleasure of trying a Leupold or Schmidt and Bender).
    Worth looking out for one second hand perhaps in the £80 £100 range?
    Good luck!

Thanks for that Severnsider.

I have measured the distance where I currently shoot:

54 feet / 16.5 metres / 18 yards

I have a break barrel rifle, being the BSA Meteor. I have been online reading and found that somewhere it says the 6-24x50 scope is too large for the rifle, so now I am wondering what kind of size I should actually look into ...

I am getting seriously into this, even though it's only targets, I like to be dead on with shots and accuracy.

Hang on... is this a wind-up? You've posted this in the Long Range target Shooting section!

For a Meteor why not try a simple AGS 3-9 x 40 so that you can see where the pellets strike or better still just use the open sights!

Quote Originally Posted by slow09 View Post

I have a break barrel rifle, being the BSA Meteor. I have been online reading and found that somewhere it says the 6-24x50 scope is too large for the rifle, so now I am wondering what kind of size I should actually look into ...

I am getting seriously into this, even though it's only targets, I like to be dead on with shots and accuracy.
    A common problem when starting out is choosing the equipment too soon. It would probably be much better for you to join a club, meet other shooters and find what particular specialty of the sport interests you the most. Because this will dictate your kit, including scope choice.

However, I do think a 6-24 is probably too much. But do get friendly advice from a local shooter if you possibly can. Good luck - think twice and buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Hang on... is this a wind-up? You've posted this in the Long Range target Shooting section!

For a Meteor why not try a simple AGS 3-9 x 40 so that you can see where the pellets strike or better still just use the open sights!

I can't put this into the air pistol section.

I have zeroed the open sights, but prefer a magnified, more accurate shot.

I'm looking for a scope that fits the rifle length as we speak, and am seeing plenty of 3-9's upwards. I'm now looking at what options I have available and do not want to buy cheap crap like smk or vector optics, etc.

Hmmmm....... I know what you mean about buying crap. I used an AGS Sapphire on my Meteor for ages, but having re-parallaxed it to suit 20 yards it wasn't much good at longer ranges, so perhaps an AO scope would be useful if you wanted to extend your range a bit? Lots of people rate the MTC Mamba Lite, which has the advantage of side focus and a nice fine reticle. It might not look out of place on a Meteor. The Bushnell scopes offer bright pictures with a plain reticle - maybe try and have a look at them too?
    Good luck in your search!

In my view Vector optics scopes are not cheap crap as you put it. I have one on my trailsman and it is amazingly clear and has shot dead on since I got it about 1 year ago and I have only zeroed it once.
    But if you still don't fancy one I'd go for the Simmons Whitetail Classic, brilliant scope and has taken lots of knocks on my hunter but never lost its zero.
    FX Maverick .22, FX Impact MK2 .30, PAX Phoenix MK2 Rifle .177, 410 SBS,
    CZ Brno 30-06, Dakota 76 African .416 Rigby, Rossi .38 special

Quote Originally Posted by guff878 View Post
    In my view Vector optics scopes are not cheap crap as you put it. I have one on my trailsman and it is amazingly clear and has shot dead on since I got it about 1 year ago and I have only zeroed it once.
    But if you still don't fancy one I'd go for the Simmons Whitetail Classic, brilliant scope and has taken lots of knocks on my hunter but never lost its zero.
    My reasoning behind Vector is because I purchased one before and had to zero in almost every other time I shot and had generally crap sessions with it.

Now I intend to try out a better brand and slightly higher price to experiment.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by slow09 View Post

There's no going back now you sound hooked! might aswell go the full hog and buy all the kit now because you'll end up buying it in the future
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    Logun mk 2 Professional, MTC Taipan 6x24x56

I personally would be on the look out for a used leupold , i got a leupold 18-40 x 44 premier boosted scope for 350 second hand in brilliant condition , Ok the scope is about 15 years old i belive however the optical quality and turret mechanism is second to none , I have seen leupolds 6.5-0 mags going for 250 second hand well worth a thought

I think a Hawke Sidewinder Tactical gives good value for money if used for long range shooting. It is succesfully used in 100m matches overhere.
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

Thanks

Many thanks for all replies.

I am still doing my research and trying out scopes ...

you said you didnt want to buy cheap crap like smk well i have to say i got a smk 3-9x40 on my cometa and its a great scope can't fault it

MTC cobra

try a MTC cobra, they are 3-9x44 with parallax and retail for around £60. But I find that with my meteor the iron (plastic) sights are good enough for the distances it's capable of shooting.

http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/mtcScope_Cob.htm
    The correct number of guns you ask?
    N+1 (Where 'N' is the number I currently own )