Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell target league.....

Bell target league.....

Just wanted to let any old cobwebed collectors know of the meeting in Derbyshire tomorrow night....can't do those "linky things" but there is a thread in the anything airgun section...everyone welcome.

Bell Target

Too far south to attend. But like to wish you every success.
    Have similar hopes for a league on the South Coast.
    Perhaps it is time for a National body so that we all could shoot to the same rules etc. Or is there such a thing?
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Hi matey,

As you probably know belltarget shooting is (mostly) centered around the west midlands areas & different leagues often shoot slightly different rules..i'll let you know how our meeting goes & if succesfull..or not!! Thanks for your input...& good luck.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Too far south to attend. But like to wish you every success.
    Have similar hopes for a league on the South Coast.
    Perhaps it is time for a National body so that we all could shoot to the same rules etc. Or is there such a thing?
    Hi...Our league runs fairly true to the original spirit, ie. recoiling sub 12 lb. springers and open sights.....no apertures, or even sight hoods allowed!....I have seen other leagues where they use PCP match rifles / jackets the lot!....I can't see the two coming together myself....In our league the most popular gun seems to be the HW77, then TX, but people shoot Airsporters / MK3 Webleys / supersports etc. so cost wise you can do fairly well with an out of the box standard gun.

Of course people try and make the recoil smoother with spring guides / delrin top hats etc., and play with triggers....but there is a League "template" that all guns have to conform to, so you don't get all the normal target add ons like butt hooks, hand stops etc.

I personally would have zero interest in dressing up like an Olympic competitor, and shelling out £1300 to shoot 5 shots once a week...It is more of a social, relaxed evening (until the scores are close and it comes down to the last guy)......Also, you are shooting in front of maybe 30 people all having a chat and laugh, with people wandering in with food and beers etc., so people used to 10m ranges, and the quiet studious atmosphere there, must wonder what the hell is going on!....In fact I have seen that guys who have been doing it for a while actually feel the pressure more when the scores are close, and everybody goes quiet as they shoot

Chris...all the very best of luck mate..I hope something comes out of your efforts!
    Last edited by edbear2; 05-11-2010 at 08:33 AM.

sounds fun

Range docs

Hi Chris
    Many thanks for your efforts last night and the sandwiches (very nice).
    E-mail sent with attached draft range safety rules for the bell target range.

RA to follow this weekend

If I get time, I will also put together and send a draft constitution for the B.L C committee to review next week

Fingers crossed that they are happy to have us use the room and you will get this club up and running

There may well be other club members using this forum who perhaps could set up a 6 yd range at their club and compete with us via postal or even shoulder to shoulder

ATB
    John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 05-11-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    hold me back !!

Thanks 4 your help John..much appreciated,speak soon,Chris.

PS. they were good sarnies were'nt they!More info on original thread.(anything airgun)

Sounds good, What rifles are being used and what power are they doing for this bell target shooting, would like to know more and hope that something along the south coast comes up as i would like to have ago at this.
    JJJJJJ

Also What range are they shooting and what size is the hole,???

Hi jjjjjjjjjj

As we are forming our own new club/league we will be able to decide what suits the members best,& I learnt from our recent meeting that there was a diverse selection of "enthusiasts"...but all wanted a fun night out that just happened to include airguns....but on the whole..(hole.. no pun intended.!)....most clubs shoot between 6-7 yards at a target thats 5ft. from the ground (bull 3/8") & use anything from a "modern" TX200 with open sights,vintage springers,recoil-less springers with diopters right up to 10mtr. target pcp's (with all the "atire") @ circa 2k-3k... Power wise they vary tween 6/11.5Ft.Lbs..just depends what league you join & how competitive you are...I can't remember any of the mag's doing any articles (recently) but the history of this ongoing sport is really facinating..try a google.

I guess the next step up from this would be the 10mtr. dicipline...but then it starts to get really serious..! ATB,Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post

I learnt from our recent meeting that there was a diverse selection of "enthusiasts"...but all wanted a fun night out that just happened to include airguns....
    Blimey Chris!...sounds like a proper old wine, dine, swing and ding at the Wheeltappers and Shunters!...

Edit: It don't mean a thing...

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that ding
    (doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah)
    It don't mean a thing all you got to do is ding

It makes no difference
    If it's Gem or not
    Just give that plinker
    Every little ding you've got

It don't mean a thing all you got to do is ding

It makes no difference
    If it's Beesa or not
    Just give that bell
    Every little ding you've got

Last edited by DCL_dave; 06-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    blah blah

Bell Target

Chris
    Could you tell us the sort of scores that where achieved and what rifles they used.
    "Just to benchmark us Southern Softies."

(jjjjj please drop me a pm.)
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Dave you to$$er... if you had posted that at night i'd have said you were...brahms n list.. don't give up yer day job..!

Re Leadhead,

It was the first meeting (no shooting)...allthough we had a belltarget there it was for demonstration purposes only...at a normal shoot a maximum would be 25 or 30 depending on whether 5/6 shots taken..bull scores 5 & rings the bell/buzzer/flashes lights...there's grooves milled into the face of the target plate that score 4,3,2,1 & the plate is painted with non drying paint...start your own team up in your area..we can challenge you & do a postal shoot with target cards...

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Chris
    Could you tell us the sort of scores that where achieved and what rifles they used.
    "Just to benchmark us Southern Softies."

(jjjjj please drop me a pm.)

A very good score is reckoned to be 220 or above (10 shooters...max 25 possible, so average of 22). We were beaten by 1 shot earlier this season.........The opposing team's captain shot last......and had to get 23 to draw...24 to win.....pressure or what!......even our guys gave him applause and a cheer, as it was really impressive shooting under a lot of duress..

The top team in the league operates a strict system where you have to prove you can shoot a 23 reasonably consistently......all teams have "reserves"...maybe 5 or 6 people...These shoot after the match, and their scores are logged...and if you don't do well one week, the reserve(s) who have beaten your score take your place in the team...so this is also something to think about if you snatch one and your score is not looking to good....the good guy's, when they do this, seem invariably to be able to step up, and pull a 5 with the next shot to "catch up".

To give an idea.......here is our currant league table

The most consistent guys can do a 23 most weeks, with the odd 24 / 25....I have shot between 18 and 23......My problem being that as it is a 9pm match start time, I may have been working since 6am.......On the night of my lowest score, I had been sanding Fibrelam board, and spraying bleeding 2 pack paint for 10 hours, so my eyes were as tired as hell. The baseline really should be a 20...if you can't get a pellet into a one inch circle at 6 yards with a TX or HW, then it is purely down to nerves, or pressure......at home I do 23's - 25's all the time........but try that in front of 25+ people chatting away, after waiting maybe 40 mins. or more depending where you are in the team shooting order....It is very interesting to watch everyone's style.....everything from 100% perfect target match stances, to some of the older guys who are shotgunners using a "sporting" arm extended stance, with equally good scores.....It really is a case of what works for you personally.
    Last edited by edbear2; 06-11-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Dave you to$$er... if you had posted that at night i'd have said you were...brahms n list.. don't give up yer day job..!
    I was rather hanging from the night before but I'm OK now (kinda...)...infact I'm feeling almost cider-delic...make of that what you will
    blah blah