Thread: webley slant grip mk1 help please

webley slant grip mk1 help please

hi all, bought a mk1 a while back ,perhaps someone more knowledgeble than me could help me date it please..it has black slant grips and is blued and .177 cal..markings on left side are WEBLEY AIR PISTOL MKI......MADE IN ENGLAND and OIL HERE in the normal place and 60966[serial number?] ....right hand side markings are WEBLEY&SCOTT LTD BIRMINGHAM [no number 4] and several patent stampings..trigger is ajustable and premier shaped..trigger guard is wider than a premier..there are no stampings under the grips. my guess is somewhere between 1958 and 1972.i know these things are easier with a photo but my son is not here and i am a dumbo at such things,any info would be much appreciated...cheers..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Mk 1

It would seem to be Pre-WW2 as it has a serial number, the slants were made between 1935 - 1939, numbered approximately 50,000 - 65,000.
    If it has the original grips they did not have the Webley logo embossed.

hi,you are correct there is no logo on the grips ,i had thought it was newer than that as it resembles a premier but my knowledge of thes pistols is limited,thanks greasemonkey

thanks chaps ,you have both been very helpful,crx you are quite correct,it is a prewar ww2 mk1 as i have been able to verify by comparison of the photos in antars link.a real font of knowledge on this forum.the old beast is much older than i thought.its nicely patinated and a preliminary plinking session indicates its might be the nicest shooting of my 6 webleys [super trigger] ...many thanks..greasemonkey
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 06-12-2010 at 06:51 PM.