Thread: Beginner Air Rifle/Decent price for secondhand Walther LG300

Beginner Air Rifle/Decent price for secondhand Walther LG300

Hi there,

I am obviously new to the sport as the header suggests and would like some advice on a new .177 rifle for 10m use.

I am a bit of a wimp due to an ongoing back injury and too much weight makes me wobble all over the place.... So I would like to keep the weight as medium as opposed to heavy. Are there any weapons I should be looking out for?

A friend of a friend of a friend has a Walther LG300 forsale at £750, which includes a few bits like case, bottles and the like. It has been serviced year on year. Unfortunately I can't find any others on the internet to compare it to... Is this price good?

I know it is a gun way above my level, but as I have been bitten by the bug and if it's a fair price I would rather spend an extra few hundred now and not miss out on a good offer!

I'd be interested what you think?

Plinker

The best thing to do is try out some different models and ask advice at your local club first. I am fairly new so cannot give a detailed response, however I decided to go for a Feinwerkbau P70 as my first rifle for 10M after trying someone's at the club and seeing how adjustable it was to adapt to most people.

Regarding the Walther, it seems a fair price and I would be tempted as I like the look of it and it is close enough for me to try before buying. If you try it and get on with it, and can afford/justify the price then it is worth serious consideration.

I might have a look at the P70, there is a lad at the club with one, I don't really know him though. I will give it a couple of weeks and drop it into conversation!!

I'd say its too expensive. For here anyway. Bought my LG300 NEW for E850 (euro's) in germany. Not an alutec or something, standard version. If you need lighter rifles, you usually have a choice between steel and alu cilinder. Takes about 200grams off/on the weight. But we can give you all the advise we can, we cant feel for you. As with all matchguns, its VERY personal what YOU like in yr gun.
    ATB,
    yana

Lg300

Hi plinker.
    £750.00 is quite a reasonable price for this rifle,but you need to check the
    following points.
    At this price it should be the alutech model,it should also have had the regulator
    replaced.
    The regulator is very expensive to replace,it is not a matter of if it will fail,
    only when. I have owned three of these rifles and they shoot as well if not better than almost anything you can buy.

Regards Bill.

Thanks very much for the advice...

Yesterday I took the plunge and emailed the lad about the gun, unfortunately he had sold it that day.... Just my luck...

I am now on the hunt for another one, there is a lad at our club with one, so I will have a look at that tonight and see what I think... He might even let me loose with it!!!

If you hear of any around that price for sale, could you pm me or advertise on here and let me know, which ever is the correct etiquette!

Thanks again

Reg problem are ONLY of the very first LG300 models. Nothing wrong with later or new one's.
    ATB,
    yana

Walther lg300

Regulator problems are not only to be found on the very first lg300.
    I bought three new lg300 in July 2004 all three failed.
    For the money plinker has available he will be most unlikely to find a
    late model.

Regards Bill

Those įre old LG300's We have quite new LG300's, several, 2009, 2010, etc, zero problems.
    Cant find a late model??? I bought mine NEW for that price mate!!!
    ATB,
    yana

The P70 is a heavy rifle....as is the Walther with the heavy cylinder, not sure if they are too heavy for a bad back?

Maybe one of the Air Arms?

Mike.
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    The P70 is a heavy rifle....as is the Walther with the heavy cylinder, not sure if they are too heavy for a bad back?

Maybe one of the Air Arms?

Mike.
    I had an Air Arms MPR 10m target rifle for a while. Super little rifle and it only weights 3.2kg.

Having also had back trouble and a broken shoulder which is taking some time to sort out I wish I'd never sold the Air Arms. I currently have a Feiwerkbau 700 Evolution Top which is around 4.5kg and it's much too heavy for me to use.

lg300

You will not find one at that price in the uk.
    and i am not your mate/.

Well thanks for all the feedback.... I will definately have a look around, I am using an air arms at the club I am shooting at. It is great and the groupings I am getting are good, well at my level anyway!! I will keep my eye out for an air arms...

Is there anything that I should be looking for? Any downfalls? Anything comparable? and the obvious question...... what would be a reasonable price?