Thread: Getting back into rimfire

Getting back into rimfire

I think I posted this in the wrong section to start with so here goes again...

In my youth I shot quite a lot of target 0.22lr and in a couple of weeks I hope to get back my old Match 54. I've more or less given up 7.62 target rifle(still do the Imperial meeting but that's it) and so wanted to keep the target discipline going with the Anschutz.

In the first instance I will probably just be practising at the club (Ford Ranges in Sussex) and was wondering whether the ammo they sell there (I think pretty basic RWS stuff) would be feasible to get going with - I was going to try and get hold of a few 25 yard 10 bull targets. As I won't be competing (at first at least) I don't want to go and spend loads on Tenex - is this feasible or would I be wasting my time?
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Absolutely feasible - it depends on the standard you shoot to though! You may be aware that .22LR is very ammunition sensitive, and Tenex is by no means the best available for every barrel. A better matched box of Club, SK etc may well group better than a less suitable box of Tenex.

In short, have a go with the club's ammo. If it will hold a group that you are happy with then go with it, but it's worth trying something else every now and again to make sure the ammo isn't limiting you.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by another_dom View Post
    Absolutely feasible - it depends on the standard you shoot to though! You may be aware that .22LR is very ammunition sensitive, and Tenex is by no means the best available for every barrel. A better matched box of Club, SK etc may well group better than a less suitable box of Tenex.

In short, have a go with the club's ammo. If it will hold a group that you are happy with then go with it, but it's worth trying something else every now and again to make sure the ammo isn't limiting you.

Dom.
    Dom

Thanks for that, just what I wanted to hear! I should have said "Tenex, for example" I just meant more expensive ammunition.

When I was younger I had a fairly tidy average, but I suspect the eyes and shakes will prove more of a challenge now. It was really to get an idea of the sort of standard I am at now, but if the club ammo is not going to group well enough to show me this, I'd have to think again.

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Regards

Richard

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Can you get 50m rimfire at Ford Beardie?
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    You most certainly can, the area between the mounds is a 100m(or is 100yard-I forget)range. Why do you ask, my northern friend?

Yeah, you would be wasting your money buying Tenex/RWS equivalent unless it was batch tested (not that cheaper ammo is less barrel/ammo sensitive, but there's just no point splashing £8/box or whatever it is unless you know it's from a batch that agrees with your barrel).

I'd go as far as to question the value of Tenex at 25yds indoors. Eley Team and Match (or equivalent) will be more than adequate if the rifle is accurate and you do your job.
    Save the Tenex for outdoors at longer range.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 06-12-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

If you are wanting to get into 25yd prone why not give aldingbourne TSC a go we are just past the Labour in Vain pub at westergate, we are a dedicated target shooting club we have the all the targets and equipment that you can borrow to start with. Plus we are indoors with HEATING essential this time of year IMHO

Totally agree with Hemmers go up the ammo scale as your scores improve.

If you want a go send me a PM

David

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    According to an American website, amongst the top three prone shooters in the world are users of Eley Pistol match, and Eley team. I know good level shooters shooting 99/100's at 50mts with Club.
    Best regards
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_samk11 View Post
    If you are wanting to get into 25yd prone why not give aldingbourne TSC a go we are just past the Labour in Vain pub at westergate, we are a dedicated target shooting club we have the all the targets and equipment that you can borrow to start with. Plus we are indoors with HEATING essential this time of year IMHO

Totally agree with Hemmers go up the ammo scale as your scores improve.

If you want a go send me a PM

David
    David

Many thanks for that, I may well take you up on that - although I think this is stage 2 in my cunning plan. Stage 1 is to use Ford just to see whether I can still see/hit anything. This is a very gentle return...

Regards

Richard

I was thinking a bit of outdoor benchrest practice maybe, plenty of wind at Ford especially in them butts.

Obviously I would need a bench.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

I was thinking a bit of outdoor benchrest practice maybe, plenty of wind at Ford especially in them butts.

Obviously I would need a bench.

Andy
    the 60 yard range has a couple of benches - the T shaped chaps - any good?

I think you might just get 50m in as they are set forward - ie outside on the left of the range. They are outside , fairly close to the wall at the left of the range. Other option is to lug one down to the 100 yard section, perfectly do-able with our technology

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    the 60 yard range has a couple of benches - the T shaped chaps - any good?

I think you might just get 50m in as they are set forward - ie outside on the left of the range. They are outside , fairly close to the wall at the left of the range. Other option is to lug one down to the 100 yard section, perfectly do-able with our technology
    Sounds like a plan, speak Sunday.

Andy