Thread: Feinwerkbau 124 sport tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Feinwerkbau 124 sport tuning

I have a old feinwerkbau 124 sport, which needs some TLC and tuning. It has a broken safety catch, and broken rear sight and is shooting well under power. Could someone recommend me a gunsmith in the Merseyside or Northwest area that could tune it for me. Thanks in advance.
    bubba1

Dave Mercer (DM80 on here) based in Farnworth near Bolton gets my vote even if he likes Relums.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Wise words from Mr Jones suprisingly. You will be rewarded with a superb gun that is a pleasure to shoot and own. It might also be worth investing in a "Maccari" tuning kit prior to having your gun fettled. Let us know how you get on with it.

Andy.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Wise words from Mr Jones suprisingly.

Andy.
    I'm often much maligned and misunderstood - but my spelling is O.K.

ATB
    Ian

Thanks for the replies guys, I have e.mailed Dave but have not had any reply as yet, I loved using this gun about twenty years ago and dug it out of the loft, and would love to get it back to what it was.... it's a.177 and I remember it being very powerful at one time. Andy could you give me soon more info on a Maccari tuning kit?? oh and I could do with some recommendations as to a good scope and what pellets to use for hunting if any one has any ideas???
    thanks again
    bubba1

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have e.mailed Dave but have not had any reply as yet, I loved using this gun about twenty years ago and dug it out of the loft, and would love to get it back to what it was.... it's a.177 and I remember it being very powerful at one time.
    bubba1
    Give Dave a chance. Hes a very busy and great gun smith but not a brilliant reader!

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have e.mailed Dave but have not had any reply as yet, I loved using this gun about twenty years ago and dug it out of the loft, and would love to get it back to what it was.... it's a.177 and I remember it being very powerful at one time. Andy could you give me soon more info on a Maccari tuning kit?? oh and I could do with some recommendations as to a good scope and what pellets to use for hunting if any one has any ideas???
    thanks again
    bubba1
    I can't help with scope advice, but I can give you some pellet data. I used to shoot my 124 with RWS Superdome. I recently tried Bisley LRG and JSB Exact 4.51.

After about 300 shots (gun still bedding in after a rebuild). The averages from a 10 shot string were:-

Bisley Long range gold 7.3gr = 10.46 ft/lbs 787fps
    Superdome 8.3 = 10.35 ft/lbs 749fps
    JSB exact (4.51) 8.4gr = 11.51 ft/lbs 783fps

Surprised me that the heaviest pellet was the fastest (edit1), and I've tested it out to 55yds and it's accurate. Now considering the 'mozzie' at 7.9gr, I haven't got any to try. It is very similar to the JSB exact, I might need to detune at some point in the near future.

Good luck on a happy 124 rebuild or tune up. Give the pellets I mentioned a try though.

(edit1) Not the fastest, but gave a higher reading over the chronoscope in ft/lbs. I suspect a better fitting pellet or a more compatible lead composition was the reason why.
    Last edited by Andy Bee; 08-12-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Additional
    "If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said" - Alan Greenspan.