Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collection disposal

Collection disposal

I have about 50 vintage air rifles and pistols ranging from early Greener, Brittania, Webely Service 1 & 2 to later Airsporter and MkIII variants and Webley air pistols.

I don't want the fag of selling them individually.

Who is the best dealer or auction house to work with to dispose of such a collection in your experience ?

Thanks

Barry D.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Holts are very good, as too are Wallis & Wallis.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Southams of Oundle is another.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

whats the cal of your webley mark 1 rifle and serial number so it can be added to the list if it is not already on

Offers of help

Thank you to all who have replied with offers of help, both by posts and PMs.
    I had forgotten what an effective and helpful resource the BBS is !

I was initially only asking a general question about disposal and the advice and offers of help rec'd have focussed my mind.

I think I had better get busy and take some pics and make a list etc so that I can reply to you guys in a meaningful manner.

I will get back to you soon, and thanks again.

Barry D.

Maybe too late and repeating what others have said, but it may well be worth the extra effort of cataloguing the collection yourself (i.e. photos, serial numbers and descriptions) and then selling privately (on the BBS of course!)

You are likely to get more for them in the end and will have the satisfaction of knowing they are going to fellow BBS enthusiasts - unless you've got James Bond's Walther of course!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Holts are very good, as too are Wallis & Wallis.
    I have bought through Holts a few times. They are very well organised and well publicised, so they tend to get good prices. Holding the auction in London also helps with this. On the downside they charge both the buyer and seller a large commission that eats into the profits a fair bit.
    My Club: http://www.wendoverarc.co.uk
    Rifles: Air Arms S400 - Air Arms TX200HC - Webley MkII Service Rifle - BSA Imp Model D
    Pistols: Webley Seniors - Webley Juniors - Beretta 92FS - Cobra Crossbow

It also seems a lot more of a faff post VCR. I haven't bothered with Holts after that came in.

The trouble with auctions is not only commission, you limit the market to people who bid at auctions. For high end stuff I suspect that's no problem, but for nice but more run of the mill stuff it may make the price you get disappointing.
    Morally flawed

The auction houses are very good but for items under £100 are excessively expensive. You would be better off discounting and selling here.

For a little time with a camera the BBS forum boys will give their valuation on each item. Fortunately we are such good friends we just aren't going to let anyone else get something for nothing. Not competitive here at all

Its a hobby and most are happy to help. Occasionally in the summer an airgun club might have a vintage bring and buy sale. Don't forget all those little items that often come with collecting. They often add up to a tidy some.

Do wipe everything down with some gun oil while you work out what to do. I do hope you can find time to give the collection a chance to find new homes.

Pre-39 air guns are still sent direct to the purchaser.
    All auction houses that I know charge both parties. Over the last few sales Holt's have seen some nice air weapons go under the hammer and most have sold well.
    As I am one of the reps I will be happy to answer any emails or PM's regarding the process, fee's or general questions regarding selling or buying at Holt's but will resist the urge to further sing the praises of the largest antique & sporting firearms auctioneers in the UK, in case it's mistaken as advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by mjohno View Post
    but will resist the urge to further sing the praises of the largest antique & sporting firearms auctioneers in the UK, in case it's mistaken as advertising.
    Class

Quote Originally Posted by Point & Click View Post
    They are very well organised
    In the live auctions yes they are organised, but I've had big problems with their sealed bid auctions, so it's not all praise.

Personally if I were selling a large collection, I'd take a table at one of the better arms fairs.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    In the live auctions yes they are organised, but I've had big problems with their sealed bid auctions, so it's not all praise.

Personally if I were selling a large collection, I'd take a table at one of the better arms fairs.
    Please drop me a PM or email with the problems you have had regarding the sealed bid sales and I will pass it up the feeding chain.

Quote Originally Posted by mjohno View Post
    Please drop me a PM or email with the problems you have had regarding the sealed bid sales and I will pass it up the feeding chain.
    The issues are now historic and need no follow up.
    Kathryn was helpful during the first problem and she was instrumental in one of the gunroom staff phoning me with an apology after he was instructed to do so by Mr Holt.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post

A Table at an Arms fair is ok provided your an RFD!
    If it's not broke don"t fix it!
    http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/