Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brocock Rechargeable Air Capsule (Co2 Bulb Size)

Somebody paid £250 for those Iain. Thats if I am correct in remembering I paid £25 for mine.
    If Gedfinn was not impressed I think that a pump is not adequate. They need 240 which is some effort.
    Mine gave 25 good ,I would say more powerful, shots when filled from a 300 tank.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    It's very interesting that this has come up, because Paddy and I were only discussing it with Nigel Silcock (Mr. Brocock) last Sunday.

It turns out that his late Father designed them, who sadly passed away and took his secret to the grave - nothing on the assembly procedure was ever written down, apparently, and was all in the old boy's head.

The problem seems to be that each capsule houses about fifteen washers of differing shapes, thicknesses and sizes. Nigel still has thousands of parts for the air capsules in stock, but without knowing where each indiividual washer goes, cannot reproduce his Dad's original design, even though he'd love to. Obviously, the permutations of different washer configurations when you have so many in each cartridge runs into many thousands. He and his team has tried to reproduce a working version from the parts they have, without success.

So, if you have one or more of these, they are a rarity and I suggest you hang on to them.

The good news is (maybe) that we have hopefully put Nigel in touch with someone who may be able to help. I've seen an example of this chap's engineering work and quite frankly, it's mind-bogglingly good, so watch this space.
    Considering these are available secondhand on the 'bay - I cannot believe any mildly competent engineer couldn't disect one and and reverse engineer it, especially one who has all the parts
    I would think the tragic shot count would account for the lack of enthusiasm at reproducing them rather than the complexity of the item baffling a "mind-bogglingly good" engineer....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 12-12-2010 at 06:56 PM.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The action shooting guys tried them when they first came out.
    An alternative to CO2 which was unaffected by low winter temps and velocity drop-off with rapid fire was very attractive.
    Low shot count and variability in pressure output from unit to unit led the guys who tried them to go back to CO2

I was thinking if you could tune a set for the same output pressure and use them in a pistol with multiple removeable magazine like the CP99 they might be of use for action shooting. You'd need a few for an 8 stage IPAS contest where 240+ shots are the norm,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Somebody paid £250 for those Iain. Thats if I am correct in remembering I paid £25 for mine.
    If Gedfinn was not impressed I think that a pump is not adequate. They need 240 which is some effort.
    Mine gave 25 good ,I would say more powerful, shots when filled from a 300 tank.

I think they were a good concept
    but over complicated !
    I say this because a guy ( Steve I think ) put up " His " Conversion on how to make Co2 cylinders rechargeable,

I have made a couple & They work using a Schrader valve inletted ?
    I Have a compressor & Can charge to 300 Bar ! Are they regulated & designed to work at Co2 Pressures IE at 60, Bar ? If not, Thats 300 Bar to the 60 Bar gun !!!!
    I can answer my own questions, But have the above questions been pondered ?

Finally, Co2 has a much larger gas volume "per se" ! And give a much greater shot count,
    I personally like or use Co2 if I can avoid it , It eats seals, And as was said, Suffers temperature fluctuations to a much greater degree than HPA ,
    Just a thought Ged.
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 13-12-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: A later thought !

Have a look at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DzzcO7mQZc
    If the story is correct Robet Lane did the construction and the capsule has a regulator so that the output-pressure an so the velocity should be constant.
    Brocock should be able to produce this capsule. 20 shoots are sufficient - neither my firmearm-revolvers nore my firearm-pistols can shoot more.
    Wanted: SA Jackal AR7 Hunter or AA Combat - "Flash Hider" of AR7 Hunter/Combat
    Wanted: SA/AA/Phoenix Firepower in AK-style "JK47"

Holy 5 year old thread Batman!...I think these have already died a death at least twice after being marketed by both Brocock and Armex I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Holy 5 year old thread Batman!...
    Why not? better than opening a new thread with long explanations regarding the old thread.

I think these have already died a death at least twice after being marketed by both Brocock and Armex I believe.
    Don´t know Armex. Can you tell me more about this and Armex´ product?
    Wanted: SA Jackal AR7 Hunter or AA Combat - "Flash Hider" of AR7 Hunter/Combat
    Wanted: SA/AA/Phoenix Firepower in AK-style "JK47"

I had 2 brocock rechargeable co2 carts, if I remember they were advertised to give 40 full power shots, the reality was less, the 2 I had needed new bits in the valve when I sold them (don't worry I explained all to the buyer, magicniner) in the valve there is a nylon "top hat" but as the cart was designed like a tac with a valve, so there was a rod through the center of the cart with o rings which needed a drop of oil on them every few fillings, this oil softened the nylon top hat, this allowed the plunger that's depressed by the guns cart piercing bit to dig in and stick, this ment that the top hat coverd the port this preveted air from exiting the cart. The design was not right, it was too much like the tac which needed a lot of care, uses of the air co2 cart did not want to take it apart and replace all the seals every 5 refills.
    The proton x cart was a different design, it died a death due to the fact that there was nowere near as many co2 pistols out there as there is today and the demand for rechargeable air carts was nonexistent.
    There was also the fact that any rechargeable co2 cart that uses air is going to be filed to over 200bar, some did not like the idea of having something in the parm of the hand that has the explosive potential to take off your hand if all the safeties fail and something goes wrong, yet the same people think nothing of having a cylinder many times the size of the air co2 cart just a few inches in front of there face when they shoulder a pcp rifle!
    The proton x had co2 size cylinders (12g) and the 88g (for the king rat catcher) as well as a few others, is I recall there was no testing of them done by the 2 air gun mags (back then there was only 2) they only had adverts in the back of the mags that were easily missed and no airgun store stocked them, you had to get them directly from proton (or whatever the company was called)
    Last edited by airgunnut; 17-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Proton X that was the one...not Armex (I knew there was an 'X' in there somewhere)....