Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got myself a very nice 1970's vintage ASI Paratrooper .177

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!

Just got myself a very nice 1970's vintage ASI Paratrooper .177

Yesterday while in Tony's Cammo near Chester, a guy came in looking to buy a new rifle, as part ex he was offering an ASI Paratrooper (Gamo 68). Seems a friend of his had the rifle since new but it had spent the last few decades in the shed stored in its original vinyl bag and the ASI was given to him when he showed some interest. This old 70's era rifle stunk of damp but luckily it had been liberally greased before being left in the shed and although caked in a dusty, greasy gunge and stinking it certainly showed potential. Tony offered the rifle to me for what he gave for it which was a real bargain.

I remember these rifles well as a young lad and always wanted one, but at the then £12 asking price they were to expensive and way above my pocket money. But a few mates later were able to get them and to my knowledge these were the first real go at making a repeating air rifle. I don't remember anything before it anyway.

Luckily mine is in pretty good condition thanks to the grease coating and after a good clean with a lint free cloth it looks pretty good. As a bonus the 25 shot spring loaded tube magazine still works perfectly as does the auto load system. There was some powdery corrosion on aluminium parts although not to bad and a crack in the plastic cheek piece. Although this particular one does not have a scope ramp fitted so is hopefully one of the earlier examples. The crinkle finish that was so characteristic of these particular rifles is still also in excellent condition as can be seen from the photo's.

I've seen a few of these rifles since the 70's and the ones I have seen have been in pretty poor condition with the mags missing and fairly tatty, so the condition of this one and the very low price meant I could not miss out on such a bargain .
    Last edited by Grayling; 19-12-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Lovely but just looking at that carpet gave me carpet burns mate !
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

That brings back memories My first 'decent' rifle was the Paratrooper - an earlier version which was a single-shot. Saved all my pennies for ages, every day I walked to school I passed the shop with it in the window and pressed my nose up against the glass looking at it. Eventually I saved enough money and bought it (unfortunately, only the rifle - couldn't afford any pellets!), and didn't tell my parents either who had told me I couldn't have one. About a year later it died a death when I had partially stripped it but forgot to replace the two screws at the front, thus when I cocked it the cylinder bent upwards breaking the cast frame at the back. Fixed it up and still used it for a while tho. The Paratrooper was a step up from the Daisy rifles I had before it.

Very nice paratrooper indeed!

My friend has the exact same model in very similar condition and he's prepared to sell it to me... yay!

Am I right in thinking that this is quite a rare early repeater? Yours is only the second I've ever seen which doesn't have the extended plastic foregrip. I've seen a few single-shots without the foregrip but not repeaters.

Cheers, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Very nice paratrooper indeed!

My friend has the exact same model in very similar condition and he's prepared to sell it to me... yay!

Am I right in thinking that this is quite a rare early repeater? Yours is only the second I've ever seen which doesn't have the extended plastic foregrip. I've seen a few single-shots without the foregrip but not repeaters.

Cheers, Matt
    Its the first I've seen one in that configuration Matt and I noticed there was no scope ramps either. The few I have seen have the extended plastic fore grip as well. So I think the type you are getting and I have are an earlier type. They from what I can find out first made an appearance in 1970 and I have heard of a MK 11 variety although I'm not sure how the different marques are denoted. I have seen them for sale up to £120 though. There's not much in the way of reference material on Google apart threads like this on the various forums.

Take a few photo's when you get yours. One thing I do remember Matt, wad cutters feed better through the magazine and auto load system than domeheads and pointed just won't load properly at all.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.

Will do! My friend certainly won't be giving it away (he knows that it's rare to find one in such good condition) but he's also a mate and knows that I like it so is asking a fair price I think!

I've had little success with Google searches too which seems strange considering how popular they once were. Anyway, they look like a nice unique little fun gun and hopefully still be up to a bit of plinking given their age.

Thank for the heads-up regarding the wadcutters and keep us updated with yours

Cheers, Matt

Memories

Looking at the pics took me back to 1972/3. That was my first air rifle when i was too young to own it. My mates mother let me buy it from her catalogue and pay on the drip. I had to keep it at my mates house so my parents didnt find out i owned it. My mates dad used to drive us to a local farm and we were allowed to shoot anything that sat still long enough. Boy those were the days. Many thanks for reminding me off those far off days. Stan.
    Air Arms S400 .22, Origanal Mod 45 .22 1980, Origanal Mod 45 177 1980, , AA 410 .177, , Milbro Diana Series 70 Model 70 +71 +78, .

Funnily enough we were only discussing this particular model of rifle in the club this evening. Back in the good old seventies, a mate of mine had one and we all hated him with jealousy. The best I could manage was an ASI "Sniper" back in those far off but carefree days.
    It is amazing to recall it, but we would wander around our local beach shooting the usual plinking type targets for days on end and we never got reported for it. Camping out for days shooting rabbits in the evening and cooking them to go with the cider my mates elder sister used to buy us brings back some verrrry pleasant memories!!!!

Anybody fancy swapping a para repeater for a Steyr LG110? (only joking, but I wish I could have as much fun now as I did back then without ending up in 'nick.)

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Here's mine! I'm getting it on Wednesday

Cheers, Matt

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Gary. Lovely little story there, and a lovely little collectable, too. Thanks for sharing both with us . Atb matey, and ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Yes .. nice little plinkers. I bought my son and daughter one each (but single shot) as Christmas presents many years ago (to be used under supervision of course) ... from Stretham Armoury ... returning home on the bus/tube/train with the two boxes taped together.
    Happy memories. Anne still has hers squirreled away somewhere.
    Cheers, Phil

Smile very happy memories :)

Oh yes indeedy, its tucked up nice and safe in the North wing of the wardrobe

I still remember that Christmas, coming downstairs with my *little* brother to see the two boxes poking out from the white pillowcases Santa had used as stockings.
    It still has the 4x20 scope on it that we used for plinking at the knockdown targets and anhililating plastic soldiers.

Methinks its due a day out when the weather picks up... I'm sure Chairgun could give me a rough idea of the aimpoint/ elevation needed for 45yds.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Here's mine! I'm getting it on Wednesday

Cheers, Matt

How spooky Matt the one you are getting and mine are like clones, yet most I have seen up until now have the extra plastic foregrip. Although I cannot remember if the ones in the 70's did or didn't have the extra plastic. Been having some fun plinking with it. They really are fast firing, but did chop the skirt off a few pellets that hadn't fed properly. Still good fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by batfink View Post
    Oh yes indeedy, its tucked up nice and safe in the North wing of the wardrobe

I still remember that Christmas, coming downstairs with my *little* brother to see the two boxes poking out from the white pillowcases Santa had used as stockings.
    It still has the 4x20 scope on it that we used for plinking at the knockdown targets and anhililating plastic soldiers.

Methinks its due a day out when the weather picks up... I'm sure Chairgun could give me a rough idea of the aimpoint/ elevation needed for 45yds.

Yours has a scope ramp then, what year did you get yours. Still trying to work out what rough age mine is. Any chance of a few photo's of yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Gary. Lovely little story there, and a lovely little collectable, too. Thanks for sharing both with us . Atb matey, and ...
    And the same to you and your Gareth .