Thread: Target 22lr pistol (What to buy)

Target 22lr pistol (What to buy)

Im looking at doing a bit of pistol in 22lr and after some recomendations, there isn't a lot to choose from but poss the alfa or the taurus.

Any preferences trigger build stability grip etc.

Thanks
    Matt
    Fabarm Axis Sporter O/U - Browning Phonix Topcote Semi Auto - Benelli Supernova Realtree® APG™ - Ruger 10/22 Custom - CZ455 Laminate TH .22LR - Mistral O/U - AYA Yeoman S/S - SAM K11 - Valmet M62 - KORNA BRNO LBR .22LR

Taurus are a weighty piece of equipment for a .22LR; apparently they use the same frame as larger calibre revolvers. If you can afford one, the Browning Buckmarks with the lightweight barrel conversions are quite handy and light.

Being a self-loading pistol, the Buckmark will have a better trigger in general, and they are good quality. For ultimate accuracy, stability and trigger, you would need to look at single-shot target pistols which are about.

I you want revolvers, also check out HW and S&W etc.
    For pistols: indeed buckmarks are great allrounders. As are the Rugers or S&W41.
    Whats the best choice is what suits YOU best.
    ATB,
    yana

I thought 22lr pistols aren't allow in UK? Isn't that why the Olympic team have to practice on the continent?
    Correct me if I'm wrong ( won't be the last time)
    db

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    I thought 22lr pistols aren't allow in UK? Isn't that why the Olympic team have to practice on the continent?
    Correct me if I'm wrong ( won't be the last time)
    db
    Pistols are not banned in the UK, they have moved from Section 1 to Section 5 of the Firearms Act. To possess a Section 5 firearm you require the permission of the Home Secretary/SofS for Scotland. A number of elite performance shooters have been allowed Section 5 authority but they may only use them on ranges that meet the security requirements for use of such firearms. The selection policy may be found here.

Rutty

Rutty

And to follow on from Rutty, what Matt is talking about are not strictly "pistols".

When they prohibited pistols, they had to define what a pistol was, which they did using dimensions (barrel shorter than 30cm, total system length shorter than 60cm).

Therefore there are "Long-Arms", "Long-Barrelled Pistols" and "Long Barrelled Revolvers" that are basically pistols but engineered to be larger than the legal limits so they do not fall into section 5, using long barrels and "balancing rods" attached to the stock, so they're not technically pistols (nor rifles - just weird Section 1 firearms that are unaccounted for in law, but which can be held on FAC).
    Last edited by Hemmers; 04-01-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Thanks for clearing that up. I had completely forgotten about long arms etc
    In January I will be entitled (after a whole six months in a club!!) to licences for all caliber pistols
    db

Hemmers, Yh it is the Long Barreled options I'm looking at,

The Alfa is the one I'm steering towards, as it had the target grip, but quality trigger and where to even get one from!

Thanks

Matt
    Fabarm Axis Sporter O/U - Browning Phonix Topcote Semi Auto - Benelli Supernova Realtree® APG™ - Ruger 10/22 Custom - CZ455 Laminate TH .22LR - Mistral O/U - AYA Yeoman S/S - SAM K11 - Valmet M62 - KORNA BRNO LBR .22LR

A friend shoots a browning buckmark, with superb results, a semi 10 shot.

I have a .22" Taurus model 66. The frame is not the same as the .44". Looks the same, but is smaller in proportion.

It's quite hard to shoot well without resting, mainly because I need to put more practice in. Although not massively heavy, the overhang due to the length of the barrel has the same effect, so it's best to rest between shots, at least to cock the hammer.

Years ago I found that the .44" was better balanced in use due to the extra weight of the ammunition evening things up.

Trigger wise, it's very heavy on double action and I hardly use it like this. 99% of the time I use single action and the trigger is much better, but it ain't no match pistol.

Overall I find it great fun to use, although difficult to shoot well at 20 yards without much more practice. They are expensive, nearly £600 when I bought my .22" about 3 years ago, but interesting and another discipline to your bow, or should that be shooting .

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.