Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lidl Rocktrail Binoculars

I got some for the hell of it to see if they where any good..

Yes, they where badly columnated but with a bit of research I found the adjustment screws and had a play. I managed to get them better but was still dissapointed, which for the cost and build was a crying shame as they would have made a sound investment if everything hadn't been in stereo
    Making waves since 1971.

i did buy a pair of 10-60x50 zoom binoculars years ago when i didn't know any better. turns out they didn't magnify anything like 60x... more like 9x - 15x, i only noticed this after buying a pair of fixed mag 15x70 bins. the over whelming feeling i had with the first was at any thing higher than the lowest setting they were very dim and hazy, also the field of view was very narrow compared to a fixed power set of 10x50 bins i also later bought from lidls but the main problem was the alignment shifted every time i zoomed in or out and always got headaches looking through them because of it. took them to bits in a fit of rage trying to get the zoom bit out and make them fixed power 10x none of the internal lenses had anti reflective coatings and no wonder the alignment was all over the place the zoom lenses rattled about in there plastic holders.

the lidles 10x50's were ok i thought when i first bought them and only £9.99 but they just dont compare to the 8x42's i use now which have better low light performance clearer sharper image are water proof so they dont fog up inside when you bring them in from the cold or steam up inside from sweat under your coat they are also perfectly collumated and have stayed that way for years despite the odd knock the anti reflective coatings on them are fantastic and give excellent contrast and colour and im pretty sure with luck i'll still be using them in 20 years or more.

i guess if your going to be using them a lot its worth splashing out on a good pair.
    i got well into bird watching for a while and wanted the swaro 8.5x42 el's costing £1000 but settled for my opticron imagics at £369 and put the savings towards a good spotting scope, though i got lucky with a second hand meopta scope with fixed 25x and 40x eyepieces for £45!!!!!!

anyways what ever you get enjoy them... saying that you cant go far wrong with a set of 8x42's for hunting and for phenomenal low light performance 7x50's if you can find a good set.

Just got lucky on the bay

Opticron 8 X 42 BGA Roof Prizms (from the 1990's) totally imaculate!! Cost £430 new in 1995 (came with the sales receipt) knocked down to me at £65.00. I already have a pair of similar vintage 10 X 50 BGA's and they are unbeatable for the money.

Top of the range bino's going for a song..... That'll do me!!

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by mark22c View Post
    a while ago they were doing fixed power 10x50's for £14.99 that for the money where not bad but zoom binoculars are at any price a waste of money.
    you get very narrow field of view, hazy image, poor optical alignment giving double image and or head aches, very dim image at any where near full power and fall apart plastic build quality.
    i've bought and used or at least sampled 100's of binoculars(i collect binoculars... well just the good ones)
    if you want good quality build, optics and realistic power for a hand held use with a sharp clear bright image go on the bay and pick up a pair of old "made in USSR" (not the new russian federation ones) bnu5 8x30's for around £25 or cheaper.
    i've never ever found a good pair of zoom binoculars.
    Iv`e just bought a set of these off the bay, really good quality, and come with a set of night filters, not tried them in the field yet but first impressions are good.
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    Quote Originally Posted by mark22c View Post
    a while ago they were doing fixed power 10x50's for £14.99 that for the money where not bad but zoom binoculars are at any price a waste of money.
    you get very narrow field of view, hazy image, poor optical alignment giving double image and or head aches, very dim image at any where near full power and fall apart plastic build quality.
    i've bought and used or at least sampled 100's of binoculars(i collect binoculars... well just the good ones)
    if you want good quality build, optics and realistic power for a hand held use with a sharp clear bright image go on the bay and pick up a pair of old "made in USSR" (not the new russian federation ones) bnu5 8x30's for around £25 or cheaper.
    i've never ever found a good pair of zoom binoculars.
    +1, have to agree! i also refuse to have a zoom feature on any of my scopes, as i feel the image quality from a fixed mag is far superior

I wouldn't touch soon binoculars their terrible as are the huge models .
    I bought a pair of 20x80s about 20 yes ago they were expensive and bloody hopeless. If your on a budget the 8x50 hawked are superb I use a pair of 8x56 hawke Pro stalk now discontinued for the same speck endurance models their amazing at low light 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Yes, a pair of minty Zeiss Jenoptems in 8x30 or 10x50 are a good choice around that price. Make sure they have a 'DDR' mark and a 7-digit serial number - there were some Japanese versions made which some say are licence-built and others say are fakes, but all agree are of lesser quality.

Regards,
    MikB
    I bought a pair of Zeiss Jenoptems 10*50 off the bay many years ago and had them serviced. They are by far the best value for money you will find anywhere if you get the real McCoy.
    You really need to do your homework on this as a very high percentage of the ones on the bay are either out and out fakes or as you said built under licence. Either way they are inferior.
    I found a German information document on how to spot the not right ones, it was 3 or 4 pages including pictures detailing everything from little things like the size of screw heads to the more obvious discrepancies. I'm sure I saved it somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find it.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I know it's easter guys, but that was resurrection after 3 days, not ten years.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Big Ears AKA BE.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I know it's easter guys, but that was resurrection after 3 days, not ten years.

Dave
    Its them little blue tablets
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive