Thread: Olympic Medal Wining Guns.

Talking Olympic Medal Wining Guns.

Dose anybody know which make and model won medals at which Olympic Games. Or were I can get this info from.

I think this would be a good line of guns to collect.
    Plus I could justify to myself buying 2 new guns every 4 years.

A make/model of rifle used in the Olympics has no additional value compared to any other model. The only ones perhaps worth something are the actual rifles themselves. And even then it's a bit tenuous. Winning one Olympic medal doesn't make a rifle historically significant. Not in collecting circles anyway.
    And this is assuming you can persuade the shooter to part with their firearm.

The exception in the UK would be Malcolm Cooper's Walther. Quite apart from being the best .22 shooter the UK has ever produced (and being the only person to defend the Olympic 3P title), his rifle was trodden on and the stock snapped during a training session the day before the one of the Olympic finals. A Russian armourer fixed it overnight and he went on to win, so that rifle went down in Olympic legend.
    It still wouldn't be worth that much financially though. If you're wanting to make an investment, you'd be better advised buying rare or historically significant firearms (i.e. militaria. It opens it up to the history buffs, some of whom will pay silly money for historical artefacts).

Also, with £1500 of stock, plus £1500-£2500 worth of barrel & action, plus accessories like sights and so on, the average rifle used at the Olympics is worth >£4000 new.

Shooting isn't a high profile sport. A rifle used by Matt Emmons isn't going to fetch mega-bucks in a charity auction in the same way as some boots worn by David Beckham would.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 20-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Do you mean "the actual gun" or the same type?
    I tried to do some reasearch this year to find the historical world records for air rifle and pistol, it was not easy, and I could not get a complete record. The ISSF was very helpfull but it was not on computor in the early days and they have not done much to place the early ones on electronic record. They had also lost some of the records in the change from I.S.U to U.I.T. and then to ISSF. They did not record at all (and I don't think do now directly) which guns were used which was one of the things I was interested in.
    The best route to find out is look on press picture for current ones and the manufacturers web sites for the older ones or enquire to them.
    It would be an interesting collection, but even if it was the actual guns I doubt it would add to the value.
    Hemmers, we were at Walther in Ulm in Oct and had the tour of the wonderful museum, our host was decrying the fact that as soon as Malcolm won gold they stopped making the GX1, I bought one, great rifle. We knew Malcolm well as my wife was in the squad, a great loss to our sport.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Is it ALL guns used to win medals in all disciplines or .22 rifle, pistol & air or just air or pistol or what?

Hemmers & Robin, I have shot with both of Malcolm's Walther LGR air rifles one of which he used to use for 6yd at the British Championships at Cardiff dressed in a stock made by a Russian armourer. Malc told me the story about how he came to have it.
    The stock I mention should not to be confused with the repaired one btw.
    I owe a great deal to Malcolm who gave me much valuable advice & information.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Wonky
    The repaired one was a GX1 smallbore free rifle.The Russians were always very helpfull, I remember at the European Air Weapons in London in '75 which we were at the Russian coach was the manager of the Toz factory, I had a problematic Toz 36 7.62 target revolver which I took along and he rebuilt it on a table in the lounge bar of the hotel! Can you imagine that now!!
    We must have met in a previous life, we went to Cardiff right up to 1985. Trying to remember the midlands mafia, we knew most of them, Irene Daw who has sadly just passed away was in the squad with my wife, and I remember Wally Baines who was involved with the midlands movement.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Do you mean "the actual gun" or the same type?
    I tried to do some reasearch this year to find the historical world records for air rifle and pistol, it was not easy, and I could not get a complete record. The ISSF was very helpfull but it was not on computor in the early days and they have not done much to place the early ones on electronic record. They had also lost some of the records in the change from I.S.U to U.I.T. and then to ISSF. They did not record at all (and I don't think do now directly) which guns were used which was one of the things I was interested in.
    The best route to find out is look on press picture for current ones and the manufacturers web sites for the older ones or enquire to them.
    It would be an interesting collection, but even if it was the actual guns I doubt it would add to the value.
    Hemmers, we were at Walther in Ulm in Oct and had the tour of the wonderful museum, our host was decrying the fact that as soon as Malcolm won gold they stopped making the GX1, I bought one, great rifle. We knew Malcolm well as my wife was in the squad, a great loss to our sport.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    I mean the same type ,as for value people collect stranger thing`s of little or no value.

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Is it ALL guns used to win medals in all disciplines or .22 rifle, pistol & air or just air or pistol or what?

Hemmers & Robin, I have shot with both of Malcolm's Walther LGR air rifles one of which he used to use for 6yd at the British Championships at Cardiff dressed in a stock made by a Russian armourer. Malc told me the story about how he came to have it.
    The stock I mention should not to be confused with the repaired one btw.
    I owe a great deal to Malcolm who gave me much valuable advice & information.
    Just air rifle & pistol.

No, like I say, the type is not going to be any more valuable just because another gun of the same type was used at the Olympics.

Think about it. A model of football boots are no more valuable just because Beckham uses that type of boot are they? A pair he's actually worn would command a premium, and I would imagine he'll usually be using premium boots anyway, so they'll be a more expensive model, but they're no more valuable just because he uses the same ones.

Thing is, all the major makes and models are mass-produced. An arbitrary specimen is not in any way special because there's lots of them around. The only ones with any interest are the actual examples used in the notable competition.
    Even then though, being used in the Olympics still doesn't make a gun special. To really make it collectable it would need to be used by a legend like Cooper, or be involved in a string of World Cup and Olympic successes.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Good on you, any excuse to collect what you enjoy is a good one. A good start would be a FWB 65 and a 300s, then onwards to the modern ones. Both my wife and I are returnees to shooting after a 20+ year break, we shoot with modern PCP's but did not sell our old ones when we changed over the years, my FWB 65 was bought new in '72 and I still have all the air pistols that I bought over the years. My wife started Rifle with an Original 65, then a 66, then a very special shortened 75 with a shorter reach trigger which got her into the GB ladies squad. All her Originals went but we'd love to get that special 75 back. She still has her LGR Junior which was supplied as a prototype, and now uses a LG300 xt Junior.
    It will be an interesting piece of research to even track down the winners guns over the years and not that easy, best of luck.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    No, like I say, the type is not going to be any more valuable just because another gun of the same type was used at the Olympics.

Think about it. A model of football boots are no more valuable just because Beckham uses that type of boot are they? A pair he's actually worn would command a premium, and I would imagine he'll usually be using premium boots anyway, so they'll be a more expensive model, but they're no more valuable just because he uses the same ones.

Thing is, all the major makes and models are mass-produced. An arbitrary specimen is not in any way special because there's lots of them around. The only ones with any interest are the actual examples used in the notable competition.
    Even then though, being used in the Olympics still doesn't make a gun special. To really make it collectable it would need to be used by a legend like Cooper, or be involved in a string of World Cup and Olympic successes.
    It`s not about value or the future value it about collecting some think I enjoy using and looking at. And if one becomes a future classic all the better.

Thumbs up

Fair enough, as long as you're not going into it as an investment, because it likely won't be repaid, although obviously guns do hold their value reasonably well if cared for.

I just find the idea odd because if I had £4-5k to spend on guns every 4 years, I'd spend it on guns for my own shooting, not whatever the Olympic champion happened to be using. A good AR will last many Olympic cycles, so after getting an AR and AP I'd probably go for something a bit different for a different discipline, rather than replicating rifles I already have. Each to their own however, and I hope they bring you many years of pleasure

When I took over CB's stock the famous Russian stock came to me for a short while, though it is now back with Sarah. The last I heard it was going to be assembled and put in the NRA museum.

Though I still have one of his 300m stocks.

As much as I wish everyone would change their Rifles every 4 years or even a bit more often!! why it can take several months to get completely settled with a new rifle.

David

Quote Originally Posted by dave_samk11 View Post
    When I took over CB's stock the famous Russian stock came to me for a short while, though it is now back with Sarah. The last I heard it was going to be assembled and put in the NRA museum.

Though I still have one of his 300m stocks.

As much as I wish everyone would change their Rifles every 4 years or even a bit more often!! why it can take several months to get completely settled with a new rifle.

David
    You know, I was just wondering last night what happened to that rifle. I knew JC had it and hoped it had found it's way out safely with his stock, and hadn't been on his personal FAC and confiscated/destroyed or anything.
    Glad to hear it's back with Sarah, and very glad to hear it will hopefully be finding it's way to a museum where everyone can see it. A much more fitting end than lingering in an armoury or stock cupboard!