Thread: Advice please for a newbie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice please for a newbie

I fancy getting a BP revolver, only ever used one a few times and that was many years ago, never got the bug as we could still use metallic cartridges then and it seemed too messy

I would like something that is capable of reasonable accuracy so I cant blame the gun when I miss the target

I remember the Ruger Old Army was a good one but I think I have heard horror stories about some of the other makes, not sure which though

And from what I here 777 is the way to go?

I fancy a .44, been offered a San Marco (not sure if thats right name) which looked like a copy of the Remington with the streamilned look to the front end, hope someone understands what I am on about
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Baz,

I know Eagleman took this up shortly before stopping shooting. He might have a couple of bargains as well as advice

Cheers Andy
    Baz

3 pistols you will not go wrong with baz....ruger old army....remington 1858... roger and spencer.

All 3 are good guns. The Ruger is by far the better built one. The Rogers is also well built and has a slightly larger grip than the other two. The Remington is nice to use also but has a smaller grip and is the cheapest of the bunch. They dont make the Ruger any more so if you can find a nice second hand one for under £350 grab it, you wont be dissapointed. The Rogers can still be got new for about £400 and second hand for about £200, if you have big hands thats the one. The Remington is a bit cheaper depending on which make you go for and has quite small grips, ideal if you have smaller hands. I would recommend .44/.45 as opposed to smaller calibres as balls etc are readily available and running cost are very similar. Be aware that later Rugers are classed as .45 and earlier ones are .44 but there seems to be no real cut off point where it changed. the other two are classed as .44. Bit daft really as all three fire a .451/.457 ball so should really all be .45.
    I have both the Ruger and the Rogers and would recommend either, iv also shot the Remmington and its also nice to use. You pays your money and takes your choice.
    Best idea is to go along to a club and talk to the guys shooting em and if possible handle/use them if they offer a go.
    Finally be warned that black powder revolver shooting is adictive and theres plenty of variables that you will have to make your own mind up about such as wads v fillers + over lube.
    Have fun and lets us know how you get on. Tim

I have got very large hands so the Rogers sounds like it might be most suitable, will have to have a looksee
    Baz