Thread: Info wanted on Original Model 5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Info wanted on Original Model 5

A neighbour has inherited this from his late brother who was secretary of the scout rifle club at Bisley. As far as I can tell it's in mint condition and is in the original (sorry!) foam with plastic lid but no outer. It's in .22 which seems odd given the semi-target styling and sights. We haven't tried shooting it yet as we're both lefties and it definitely isn't. Does anyone know how old it's likely to be and if it's worth anything?

Jonathan

Toady Guest

Yep

Original 5G at a guess - earlier than mine due to colour of the grips. if you look at the back on the "photo" side it will give 4 digits This is Month and Year. Depending on condition £40 - £90 in full working order with no replacement parts needed or faults

Oh bugger - just re-read. In .22 That knocks it down a bit as they are beginners ie cheap 10m target pistols and you cant use .22
    Do you have all the interchangable foresights? Unscrew the shroud at the front ant the "element" A pressed steel sight bit - will come out. Should be 5 with the pistol IIRC

Late 70s at a guess as all the ones I ve seen are
    Last edited by Toady; 31-12-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks for that. I needed an 8x magnifier to read the date but it says 0573 so an early one. Unfortunately it looks like the foresight blades are missing as there was nothing else in the box bar a packet of BSA targets that cost 10p.

Jonathan

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I've got the recoiless (opposed pistons) version of this in .177 - I think the suffix was M ???

Well made, but not going to be paticluarly valuable or usefull - maybe £40-£50 ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Ta JB. Revisiting the date stamp and verying the lighting I think it may be 79 rather than 73 so not early at all. I'll bring it along on Sunday to see if it works.
    I used to have an Original 10 in 1980 and that had the opposing pistons and full anatomical grip. Superb but heavy.

Jonathan

Toady Guest

Mmmm

73 is not out of the question. Dont worry about the foresights - Ive never seen a complete set either. The fact it is .22 could make it 79 but the packaging looks earlier
    Jay
    The recoiless 10m is indeed a fine pistol - form a queue if you are selling one

bozzerman Guest
    I've got one exactly the same in .22.....mint and I think it's 1978.

Coincidently I had it out of the loft a week ago and had a play with it up the back garden with my lad.

We put a target out at 10 yards.

In the pack with the gun was an old plastic tub of .22 pellets (I think they are hustler).

Shooting at the target (10y) the best I could zero the sights was about 1 inch high. I couldn't adjust the rear sight for it to shoot any lower.

I then tried some Accus and they were shooting a lot higher (about 4 inches). No way could I adjust the sights to accomodate.

Surely 10yards would be a reasonable distance but the sights would not accomodate it.

IIRC power was @ 3fp

Any thoughts.

Boz
    Last edited by bozzerman; 01-01-2005 at 10:16 PM.

I have recently purchased an Original 10 and had the same problems with the sights until I read some old stuff I have about 10 metre shooting.The Germans seem to advocate zeroing the sights on the bottom ring